Ruffles Cake With 5-Petal Cutter...any Tips Before I Start This Beast??

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 6 Sep 2015 , 6:25pm by Snowflakebunny23

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 20

Hi all,

So I'm about to embark on covering a 14" round, 4.5" deep tier with white ruffles using the 5-petal cutter method.  Just wondering if there were any genius tips any of you would be willing to share before I start? Anything which saves my sanity would be appreciated.

A large bottle of wine has already been earmarked for the evening...thankfully the more 'random' the placing, I guess the better the result will be ;-)

Thanks in advance!

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 20

first of all full disclosure i have never done one exactly like that -- but i have covered entire large tiers with the blossoms not made into ruffles -- similar -- would cut out vast amounts of the 5-petal dealios and seal them in plastic tubs first -- make an assembly line -- if i had to stop and cut out ruffles as i went i'd run helter skelter screaming wildly -- i'd melt into a slowly bubbling puddle -- cahhn't breathe agheh chokechoke help --  but i would start out by cutting/applying a few and measure how many i would need and cut at least half of that amount at a time -- i'd surely cut them all at once really --

not that you didn't have that already figured out -- mostly just offering moral support -- and if you want help i can stop by later don't wait too long -- and just look forward to taking in the beauty you are creating -- boo yeah  facepunch.png

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 20

but keep your nose down -- no peaking/reveling in the prettiness until you can see your starting point coming around the bend --

green_heart.png

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 20

i would squash out the cut lines on the petal tips as i applied them not when i stacked them in the plastic boxes -- they'll stick together more if you squash first -- and i'd only use my fingertips not a rolling tool -- just give it a quick squash --

take out three or four at a time from the box -- squash 'em -- flip 'em over* hit 'em with your glue -- slap 'em on the cake -- next batch --

*maybe you could eliminate that step -- just depends on which way you like it -- would be faster not to

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 20

you done yet 

stuck_out_tongue.png

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 20

@-K8memphis  You're cracking me up today!  Are you into the happy juice????

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 20

Please post a pic when done I have no idea what you're taking about but it seems like it'd be beautiful 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 20

"@-K8memphis  You're cracking me up today!  Are you into the happy juice????"

jinkies -- you're so funny -- not gotten into the hj yet but i could use a big sloppy hit (of it)

facepunch.png

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 20

amps.prkns -- something like this bottom tier i think

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3062226/hello-kitty-ruffle-cake

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 20

This is probably too late, but I'd advise anyone doing one of those to estimate how long you think it will take you to do it, then triple it because that's actually how long it will take you.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 20

Haha, happy juice - can I get some!!?? Thanks everyone  I have a few days yet before I have to start but thought I'd get tips in early!  My plan is to cut the petals in one go, like @-K8memphis  suggested, put them in a bag then just start and not stop until I'm done.

The effect I'm after is probably a little less compact than the hello kitty ruffle cake.  Somewhere between that and this Cotton & Crumbs cake (which the design is closely based on)...

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/88242473922636863/

It's a stunning cake (and I usually don't like ruffles!).  I'm really looking forward to doing the cake but less looking forward to making the 80+ bride and groom cake pops and 60 marshmallow sticks and then driving it for an hour before also being a guest at the wedding (which starts at noon) :-s  It's going to be a very very long few days but will post the picture when it's done :-) Thanks everyone x

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 20

Hi everyone!  Just a quick update...the 5-petal cutter was a great success and although it took a while (about 5 hours), I am totally in love with the effect and the bride was over the moon.  The only down side to this was I was a guest at the wedding so had to sit by when they took a huge sword and impaled my beautiful riffle tier :-(  That hurt.  Anyhow, thank you for the tips as always!!55eaef9757763.jpeg xx

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 20

gorgeous, so pretty -- always has to be the biggest tier huh facepunch.png love all the textures -- what is on the top tier? coconut or sugar?

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 20

Love the cake! So how did you use the 5-petal cutter? Can you do us a tutorial?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 20

oh no, i think you missed a spot --- hahahaha -- jk jk jk jk 

smile.png

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 20

THanks everyone!

@-K8memphis  yes, sods law says the most time consuming has to be the biggest!  Grrr.  The top tier was white sanding sugar.  I was going to use granulated sugar but this seemed to have a bit more sparkle (even though you cannot see it on the photo).  I felt like I missed a few spots as the petals kept drooping leaving patches but a bit of prodding and re-squishing and all was well.

@Shockolata  erm, I guess i could to a tutorial of some sort.  As much as I'd love to say it's really really hard, there wasn't much to it really!  I used a 50:50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.  I rolled out and cut about 50 sets of petals at a time (i found they dried out if i did more than that as I didn't have a tub to put them in...and going from the pasta roller/cutting and then to sticking added variety and excitement into the evening ;-)  ).  I just painted the cake as I went along with a sugar/water mix then put a tiny dab in the middle of my petals and then, well, sortof smuched them in the middle then stuck them to the cake.  The hard bit was getting in all the gaps without squitting the petal already there so I worked around mostly and by the time I got back to the start point, the row below had dried enough to keep their shape better.  I didn't bother balling the petals in the end, I actually quite liked the effect as it was.  Then you just keep going until you reach the end...

xxx

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 9:20pm
post #17 of 20

@Snowflakebunny23  Your cake is very beautiful!  Well done.

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 4:28am
post #18 of 20

That's beautiful! I have a 14" round 4.5" tall bottom tier coming up next week that's supposed to be covered with ombre ruffles. Feeling your pain... and anticipating mine! But you did a great job. 

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 10:09am
post #19 of 20

@Snowflakebunny23  so if I am understanding this, you make the petals then squeeze the middle so the petals come close to each other then stick the bottom part (the pinched part) onto the cake? It sounds quite straight forward. I should try it one day :)

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 20

Yup, that's about as complicated as it gets!  There are a few video tutorials out there but most seem to advocate doubling up the petals (using 2 sets of 5-petals on top of each other) before squishing them which I didn't do.  I felt that gave a bit too much 'body' to the ruffle.  Google 'ruffles with 5-petal cutter' and you should find something. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%