What Do You Use Under The Bottom Tier Of A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By awestervelt Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 2:27am by leta

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

I have done lots of large tiered birthday cakes and I have always used the foil lined drums but that just doesn't seem appropriate for a wedding cake.  I swore I would never do a wedding cake but here I am.  I'm not worried about the cake part it's all the other stuff that has me a little nervous.  Transportation, setting up etc...   So what do you guys use?  The bride as a cake stand which I'm still unsure about.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:24am
post #2 of 4

Same drum but cover it with fondant if you want to, and cover the edge of the drum with a ribbon.

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:25am
post #3 of 4

Make sure the cake stand is sturdy, and large enough to hold your cake. I normally use a 2-3" thick plexiglass "plate" a couple sizes bigger then my last tier. Or use a piece of wood covered in foil or fondant or butter cream. Make sure it is thick enough to hold your cake weight. 

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 2:27am
post #4 of 4

I use a fondant covered cake drum with a ribbon around the edge as well.  Truly, to up your game, you could cover all your cake boards with fondant.  It will look much better in photos too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%