How To Get Smooth Frosting

Decorating By kari7595 Updated 21 Aug 2015 , 11:16pm by kari7595

kari7595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kari7595 Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 12:01am
post #1 of 6

So I am very new to cake decorating. I  mostly just play at it. But would like to turn it into something more eventually. But for right now I am just working on my skills.  But my cousin is getting married and has asked me to do a cake for her. It is a cake that is  a three tier square cake with pointed edges not round and frosting. I have done fondant cakes but not frosting because I can't make it smooth. Is there a trick??  Thanks for any help you can offer!55d1244ba38fe.jpeg

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 12:53am
post #2 of 6

There are as many tricks as there are decorators.  Taking on a cake like this is quite a task if you don't feel that experienced....so make sure you feel comfortable before agreeing....nothing worse than a cake nightmare.

That said, if you feel good about taking this one on, there are tons of tutorials on YouTube and Cake Cental as well....the method you choose depends a lot on the icing recipe you choose.  There are techniques that work with crusting icings that don't work so well with those that do not crust.

the biggest tip I can give is don't wait to practice on this important cake...start practicing now.  Smoothing buttercream perfectly is different than coveting a cake in fondant.  Good luck!!

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 17 Aug 2015 , 12:54am
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 6

^^^this. What Jeff said.  This is a beautiful cake and very difficult to pull off.  The sides don't look straight up and down to me - - like the top is slightly bigger.  The one and only cake class I ever took was to learn how to get my buttercream smooth and I've learned several different and better ways since then.  The squeegee doesn't work very well, but the paint roller is great.

Take your time, but start now. 

thecakediva40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakediva40 Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 6

I love viva paper towel! it works well for me.  I also use a crusting buttercream icing. 

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:45am
post #5 of 6

I recommend you take a look at Shawna McGreevy's YouTube channel and her website. She has a tutorial for smooth buttercream. She is taking her time with it and paying attention to detail. I think that is the big secret :) I love Shawna's tutorials because she explains things well and makes you feel you can do it, too. On FB she is known as McGreevy Cakes. Good luck with the wedding cake. I am sure if you give yourself enough time and research it well in advance, you'll do fine :)

kari7595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kari7595 Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I have found a good tutorial but I will look at the ones you suggest. I talked to my cousin and she isn't super picky. She is getting married for her second time and isn't stressing it. She told me if I am not comfortable with frosting that I can do fondant. She also isn't stressing that it is exactly like the pic ( wider at the top, or that tall). She was almost going to make it herself but just decided she didn't have time. So I am now not as stressed but, would still love to learn smooth frosting! Thanks again!! You are amazing people!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%