Sons Birthday Is Beginning Of September When Is Okay To Start To Make A D Mmf Snake Cake!

Decorating By dgonzalez227 Updated 5 Feb 2017 , 12:58am by nancygonzalez2017

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 8

Ive wanted to start making my sons birthday cake but my fiance is saying to early and no place to store it .. ( Party is September  12th*)

Its going to be a small snake cake covered in Marsh mellow fondant god willing lol 

how long in advance can i start to build this thing?

and also once it is made can i store it in a box in my fridge or leave it out ? 

thanks bunches! 

7 replies
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 8

Personally, I make decorations, figures, etc as far in advance as I possibly can, but the cake itself might not still be fresh and moist after a month. You can make the cake if you freeze it but I wouldn't assemble it, etc until the week of the party. Someone else on here might have better advice regarding storage for a month. It depends on the type of filling you have whether you keep it out or refrigerate. HTH

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 8

Well, if you have room to store it in a freezer, you can go ahead and bake the cakes now, tightly wrap them in several layers of plastic wrap and then in foil and freeze!  You can even make and color the MMF and freeze it too.

If you have any decorations that will need to dry - make those ahead as well.  And even prep the cake board in advance.  :)  Anything to make things go more smoothly the week of the party will help.

If your party is on a Saturday, you could plan to work on the cake Thursday, which would give you Friday to take care of other party stuff.  Take the cakes and fondant out of the freezer the nite before you plan to decorate. 

Once your cake is decorated, you can put it in a box and store in the 'frig.  Remember that when you take it out Saturday morning that condensation may form on the fondant as it comes to room temp - - so don't touch it until it dries!!

It sounds cute!  Good luck!

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 1:51am
post #4 of 8

Wow thank you very much !!!!

I unfortunalty have no space in my freezer and I hattte that it's small for bein so expensive and new hehe ! 

Do you think  keeping the cakes pre made in the fridge is okay ?

Wow you can store MMF in the freezer ?? I neverrr knew that , awesome 

I was thinking about making the mmf  next week .. And keeping it double wrapped in  plastic Tupperware  

My next biggest thing is finding a box to carry my cake in 

20cakesbyLily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
20cakesbyLily Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 4:17am
post #5 of 8

Hi! you can definitely make your fondant next week! I suggest, for storing it, knead it into a ball and lightly covering it in Crisco. Then double wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in a ziploc or airtight container. Just like you said! You may also want to dye the fondant when you make it. 

However, I don't suggest making the cakes 3 weeks ahead and putting them in the fridge. It would dry out regardless how well it's wrapped. 

In my opinion, the best way to do it  (without freezing) is baking the cakes at most a week before sept 12. Then soaking it in simple syrup. 

I really only like to refrigerate my cakes when it's absolutely necessary considering condensation on fondant. 

Post pictures of the final product for me! Hope this helped! 

P.S. you can find cake boxes and boards at local craft or cake stores, I've heard some people say Walmart has them too. The cheapest box would be online definitely ! 

nancygonzalez2017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancygonzalez2017 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 8

Hey everyone!! I am going crazy trying to figure out how to ask a question on Cake Central with out taking over someone else's post but I cant seem to figure it out.. I know this is a post of 2015 but I am hoping someone helps me..

My sons school would like me to make a four tier cake and cupcakes on the side to feed about 200 people. Now since it will be only me making this I wanted to start the cakes Wednesday morning and have them frosted and covered with marshmallow fondant by the night. Then have Thursday to work on the decorations and have the cupcakes done by Thursday night. Hope to have EVERYTHING ready to go for Friday afternoon, as the event is on Friday night. 

Do yall think the cake will be fresh by then? specially if i leave it out the entire time as i do not have the space for them in my fridge.

if so, would it still be fresh if i decide to push it a day more by making the cakes Tuesday night and frosting them Wednesday night? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 8

Tol ask any ? here's what you do:  At the top of the home page there is a line of words - among them are 'recipes' 'forum' 'gallery'  & others.  Click on 'forum' and a drop down will list the different forums......at the bottom of that list is a large bar that says  'start a conversation' - just click on that and a box will appear for you to type your message. 

Your plan is fine.  If you bake on Tues, I strongly suggest wrapping each cake in plastic wrap/cling, slip it into a plastic bag and freeze it overnight.  Depending on the size of the cakes they should defrost within a few hours so you can take them out by noon Wed and they will be ready to put together & ice Wed night.  Yes, they will be moist and fresh for Fri night :)

nancygonzalez2017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancygonzalez2017 Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 12:58am
post #8 of 8

Kakeladi,

Thank you soo soo much for replying! I was scared to make the cakes to early and for it to go bad. also thank you for helping me with how to ask questions on Cake Central. I am knew to this page. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%