Commercial Kitchen/frp Question

Business By Webake2gether Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 11:35pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 8

We are putting a commercial kitchen in our home. We went to price FRP last night and realized that it has to be glued to the walls. Here is my question does anyone here know of an alternative way to attach it to drywall? 

We don't want to ruin the drywall underneath the FRP bc we plan to sell our house in the next 10 years. I've tried researching and so has my husband but haven't had much luck. We are totally ok with holes in the walls from screws I can patch them easily myself but neither of us can drywall lol. The first half of this process has went smoothly but we've hit the bumpy spots all at once. Maybe our perspective needs adjusted on this but we still have to live here and we want to retain as much resale value as we possibly can. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome :) 

~Thanks~

Amanda 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 8

i think you're getting overwhelmed/over thinking because that's how i operate too -- gluing is easier than ripping the walls out and doing it from the studs --

i'd say let go of the resale facet unless it's easy/convenient -- the chances of reselling to a cook/chef/baker or a wannabe are great -- think of it as an asset -- a house with two kitchens is a desireable thing --try not to bog yourselves down --

be happy that's all you gotta do -- you want your kitchen to be safe and secure go for it!

you got this --

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 8

OK, I get to show my ignorance which really chaps my hide because I've done my fair share of hanging dry wall and mudding and taping.  What is FRP?  Fire Retardant Plastic?

Webake2gether Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 8

@jgifford  Fiber Reinforced Plastic it's a smooth mold resistant easily cleanable  material that comes in panels that you have to use a panel glue (liquid nails type adhesive) and a trowel to put it on the drywall. It's what is on restaurant kitchen walls :) 

When you start ripping out brand new carpet, baseboard and cutting huge sections of new knockdown drywall out you start to realize just how much you are transforming your home and we started to get overwhelmed but were good now. We're just going to glue it and not look back haha. Thanks for the comment @-K8memphis  like I said sometimes we just need a different perspective and now we've got it. 

Webake2gether Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 8

@jgifford  If we ever need to take it down (if we ever move) you are more than welcome to come drywall for us haha :)

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 8

Ah, you're talking wallboard.  Yes, we've used it.  When we lived in New York, we learned there was an unwritten law that you had to buy an old house and remodel.  Ours was 150 years old and had been added onto and cobbed together through the years.  There was absolutely nothing straight, square or level in the entire house! The 1 bathroom was the original kitchen, and nothing had been updated since the 70s.

So, yes, I understand drywall.  However, I believe you're probably on your own here.  Sorry.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 8

Is it the same as the white panels for bathrooms?  Those work great.

Webake2gether Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 8

@leah_s  I believe it is the same there are several different types of FRP like materials. Plas-tex is a brand Irecall seeing   but there are other brands. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%