Chiffon Cake Collapsing

Baking By minirem Updated 16 Aug 2015 , 10:34pm by Shockolata

minirem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minirem Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:54am
post #1 of 6

Hello! I've recently been trying this chiffon cake recipe and it collapsed every single time. Here's the recipe:

- 75g flour

- 1/2 tsp of baking powder

- 2 eggs, seperated

- 80g sugar + 15g (for the meringue)

- 35g oil

- 60g water

1) Place everything besides the egg whites and 15g sugar in a bowl. Do not combine.

2) Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks. Slowly add in the 15g sugar while continuing beating until firm peaks.

3) Using the same beaters, combine the egg yolk mixture. 

4) Fold the meringue in 3 batches into the egg yolk mixture.

5) Pour into prepared cake pans then bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 325F oven. 

While baking the cake I noticed a few things:

- The cake sets on the sides really early during the bake. This results in a dome forming as the middle continues to rise.

- Around the 35 minutes mark, the dome begins to flatten. 

- When I release it from the sides of the cake pan, the cake shrinks. 

Does anyone know what I did wrong? If it's the recipe, does anyone what I could change? If not possible, does anyone have a two egg chiffon cake recipe they are willing to share. Thank you!!

5 replies
Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 5:37am
post #2 of 6

While I don't do chiffon cakes, I'm always studying ratios and baking techniques in general. Just a couple observations...

Salt destabilizes egg whites.  Beat egg whites with a pinch of Cream of Tartar. 

The egg to flour ratio looks a bit off.

flour is always counted as 100%

In chiffon cake, eggs should be 200%. Assuming you used large eggs, and they weighed 50g each, then the recipe was short 50g of eggs.  That's significant  

sugar in standard chiffon is 135% to 145%. In the recipe, 95g is a bit low at 126.  But the general rule in baking is ratios can be +/-20% so I don't think sugar ratio is the main culprit  

Doesn't specify type of sugar; fine or super fine sugar (baker's or castor) is best as it dissolves more easily and throughly than granulated sugar.

jkandell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkandell Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 6

In addition the using cream of tartar instead of salt while whipping the whites, did you cool it with the pain inverted??  Chiffons pans come with legs or you put the tube on a wine bottle.  You could also try unbleached all purpose flour, which has more structure.  I agree 2 eggs is a bit small for 75g of flour-- maybe add an egg or two.  You could even add an egg whole without separating it.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

I recommend using the Joy of Baking's recipe for a chiffon cake. I recently did their Orange Chiffon Cake and it was beyond delish! I used a square pan without a hole in the middle and it baked fine. When it came out of the oven, I inverted it over 4 tins of tomato and let it cool. Google the recipe or look into YouTube for the video of it. As for your recipe, not combining the ingredients sounds bizarre! Maybe that is to blame?

post #5 of 6

PS: for chiffon cakes, you must NOT GREASE and flour the pan! Otherwise it will drop from the sides as it has nowhere to cling on.

post #6 of 6

PS: for chiffon cakes, you must NOT GREASE and flour the pan! Otherwise it will drop from the sides as it has nowhere to cling on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%