Help Needed With Pillar Supports & Chocolate!

Decorating By mandsie Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 8:35am by Shazza65

mandsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandsie Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 9:48am
post #1 of 2

55c9c4f15c599.jpeg

I have been asked to make a 3 tier cake, very similar to this one (same designer).

I have never used pillar supports and after hours of research am still none the wiser on how to get something to look like this. Has anyone used a 'DIY' method of pillar supports? I am in Australia and the SPS systems are far too expensive to be 'disposable' as suggested in the video. All other pillars I've come across are too shapely.. ie twists, or scrolls etc.

I also am inexperienced with chocolate. Customer would like white chocolate.. but more of a true white. I'm not sure how much titanium dioxide can be used before changing its state too much. Would I be best to use couveture chocolate for the collar and hearts?

I've considered using fondant and meringue hearts if the white white chocolate isn't achievable.. 

1 reply
Shazza65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazza65 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 8:35am
post #2 of 2

Hi Mandsie

I can't help you with the chocolate queries, but with regards to the SPS I paid around $50 to have a set shipped here for a wedding cake.  This included 3 plates and the pillars. It's the postage that's the kicker.  I had total confidence in it and for me it was well worth it as it locks in and is stable. 

I guess as an alternative you could check out what Wilton have on offer. I'm able to get these at my local party store,Spotlight  or I think Big W sell wilton now, otherwise you can buy then online from their Australian supplier. 

Another alternative may be some poly pipe from the hardware store.  My understanding is that the type used for water is safe to use

What size is the top tier going to be? I have a spare 9inch plate 

regards Shazza

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%