Standing Tail For Monkey Cake

Decorating By blueangel174 Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 2:29pm by blueangel174

blueangel174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueangel174 Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 7:18am
post #1 of 11

I am going to be making a monkey cake this next week for my friend's son's birthday and I found this cake on here. I sent a message to the person who made the cake but haven't heard back. Does anyone know how the tail was made and how to get it to stand up. It is going to be in the 80s when the bday party is and I don't want the tail to fail and drop or break off. I thought maybe modeling chocolate but I have read it doesn't dry hard and gumpaste has failed for me in the past because I don't make the items until the last minute because I want the size to be right so there isn't enough time to dry...unless maybe I make several different sizes in advance and hope one works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!55c5ad4465390.jpeg

10 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 11

That looks like a pretty big tail.  I would think, no matter what you use, you would need a wire in there unless you attached part of the loop of the tail to the cake.  I would probably use modeling chocolate and attach it to the cake since it's probably for a kids party and they'll want to eat it.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 11

I would recommend fondant with added tylose over a wire.  make it several days in advance so that it has time to dry well.

yortma Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 11

Tentacles are fondant that was left to dry for several days, no wire.  I think a longer tail would work just as well, especially with a wire for extra support

Sorry the picture is so big - can't seem to make it smaller. 

55c60f2e748c0.png

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 11

That is an adorable cake, Yortma!

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 11

Yortma, love the cauldron cake!!!  Awesome detail.

yortma Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks all!  I actually made this a number of years ago - the idea came from someone on CC, I wish I could give credit to.  

blueangel174 Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 3:27am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the advice!

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 1:55am
post #9 of 11

At Lowes or HomeD they will cut wire any length for you in the electrical department.  20 gauge is strong but flexible.  I softened tootsie rolls, they come in various colors now, roll a 'snake'  the thickness you want and cover the wire with it. Then shape it.

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 2:05am
post #10 of 11

,,arrgh..........10 gauge........I was thinking in amps...

blueangel174 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%