2D Lipstick Cake - Please Help!

Decorating By Michele25 Updated 20 Aug 2015 , 2:21am by Dzrt-Bkr

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 15

55c5028bed597.jpeg

I've been asked to make a 2D cake that looks like this tube of lipstick (along with the cap). It needs to feed about 50 people. I've searched this site and the web for a tutorial but haven't found anything that would help me build this cake. I don't have a ton of experience making 2D or 3D cakes and don't know where to begin in the construction. Can anyone help me determine what size/shape cakes I need to put together to get 50 servings? Any other directions or info on how to construct would be so appreciated. Thank you!!

14 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 15

For 2D, I would just carve it out of stacked 1/2 sheet cakes.  Use the void above the cap to make the actual lipstick.

Michele25 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you but I'm trying to avoid carving because I have little experience doing that. It would be easier for me to put cakes that are already shaped (square/rectangle/round) together to form the shape instead of carving. The cake needs to feed 50 so I don't know what combination of shapes and sizes to put together to build the shape and get 50 servings.

Jinkies Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 15

Well, it's not really "carving" per se.  It's really just cutting a few straight lines.  You're going to have to do it anyway except for the cap because you can use a smaller square cake pan.

It's super easy.  Stack two 1/2 sheet cakes and make a few straight line cuts.  You can make yourself a paper template first to guide your knife.

Or, put your 1/2 sheet cake sideways and cut it into several strips the widths that you need and place those on top or aside of each other. 

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 15

Hi I'm April

I'm not a professional cake decorator.  But if you don't want to carve much then this is what I would do.  I would use the biggest size Wilton's cake pillow Cale pan.  So the bottom of my cake would be the  13.25 pan.  Of course you have to bake this 1 pan twice for tip and bottom of pillow, crum coat and cover with fondant.  Next you would put these cakes on a sturdy base.  3 level stacked 2in by 6 diam. square for cap. 4 level 2 inch  by 6 diam. square stacked with 3 stacked 2 x 6  rounds on top of that.  Be sure to put supports between ever 3rd layer.  For the lip stick use rice crispy treats to shape cover with melted chocolate melts smooth and cover with fondant.  Air brush lip stick with pearlized powder mixed with vodka! To add shine.  Make sure to stack everything so all stays stable!  You my email me with additional questions : [email protected]

flowers40 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 15

Hi its April again

I was trying to tell you to stake everything to keep it stable.   The lipstick and cap go on a base which sits on the pillow.  Stake ( drive a stick through it) all this on top of the pillow to keep it from falling off!  You my even want to level flat the pillow a bit where the base of the lip stick will sit so it sits flat and flush!  Hope that helps!

Jinkies Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 15

@flowers40 My understanding is that she's looking for a 2D cake so it would be flat on the cake board.  Something stacked would be a 3D.  

Michele, can you clarify?

flowers40 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 15

Oh sorry!  Yes, I would agree, cutting your shapes out of sheet cakes sounds easiest to me!

Michele25 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 15

Yes, thanks jinkies, that's correct. I am looking for a 2D cake that looks like a lipstick tube lying on the cake board. Like the photo I attached above at the beginning of my post. Or similar to this cake from Beryl's Cakes: 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/348536458632424684/

*Last edited by Michele25 on 7 Aug 2015 , 8:37pm
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 15

Okay, that's not 2D, that's 3D just on it's side.  2D is flat like a picture which would be accomplished by rolling out fondant and cutting out the shapes.  Sorry, this needs to be clarified to get you what you need.  My daughter is an animator so 2D and 3D are very big deals around here.

Michele25 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 15

Sorry, pastrybaglady, I didn't realize that. So, is this cake considered 3D as well, or 2D. http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1206175/lipstick-cake

What I was originally thinking is that I could use maybe a rectangle (small sheet cake) for the base of the tube, then take some round cakes, cut in half and arranged cut side down on the cake board to make the middle (gold) tube section, and then take some smaller rounds, tapered to form the tip for lipstick portion. Lastly, maybe a square shape for the cap of the lipstick. Does that make sense?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 15

Yes, that is 3D.  2 dimensions refers to length and width; 3 dimensions refers to length, width and depth.  So anything that is has a shape that comes out at you is 3D.

Your plan makes sense but I do think carving would be easier with less pans to wash, but do what you're comfortable with.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 15

How about baking 8" square cakes and stacking them.  You can also do the bottom of the lipstick by stacking 6" cakes.  Then the red part out of RKT covered with fondant like April suggested.

Michele25 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:13pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you so much for all of your responses--I appreciate it! The date of the order for this cake got pushed back, so once I complete the cake I'll make sure to post pics as well as info on how I constructed it.

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:21am
post #15 of 15

What about the long loaf pan by wilton, then a couple of squares for the cap?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%