Naked Cake, How To Prevent It From Drying Out

Baking By Sweetwife Updated 1 Aug 2015 , 9:21pm by jchuck

Sweetwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwife Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a naked cake for a wedding and wondering how to prevent it from drying out. The bride wants only frosting and filling between the layers, so the outside will be exposes to the air. Wondering if i can use the acetate strips to place around the edge, and take off once i stack it at the venue? Any ideas or help would be great as I have never made a naked cake. Thanks!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 8

i believe it is Dora Moreno cake decorator supreme that recommended a glaze made with gelatin that i do not have a recipe for but all that to say use a glaze is what i would do -- i think i would use the Bacardi rum glaze that you could google if you wanted --

you cook it a bit and it sets up nicely -- i'd test it out first and i'd maybe sub something in for the rum but that's where i'd start -- but i would test the gelatin one too -- i'd just make one up or Google it--

best to you 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

but plastic wrap would protect it better than acetate if you go that route

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8

I have it on pretty good authority that lightly spraying the outside of the cake with a pan spray does the trick.  Transporting it in plastic wrap is a good idea obviously, but the majority of the pressure should be taken off by the spray.

Obviously try and find on that is at least somewhat appetizing.  

Sweetwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwife Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 8

ThenerdyBaker what do you mean by spraying it? With a simple syrup or something else? Sorry I'm still new to the cake making world. :)

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 8

Spritz with simple syrup and lots of plastic wrap.  Be sure to prepare your pans very well - they have to come out perfectly. 

Good luck!

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 8

I've made a couple. Brush liberally with simple/sugar syrup, a couple of coats. Don't brush on too heavy, just lightly with a silicone brush. I poke holes from top to bottom of the cake with a very fine metal cake tester first. I do the first coat when the cake is still just slightly warm. I usually freeze my cakes after I've done this, and on the day I'm decorating, I thaw the cake, and brush it again very lightly. I know a pro baker who brushes the last coat with a tablespoon of clear corn syrup mixed with 2 tablespoons of alcohol. Alcohol evaporates, but corn syrup remains. I've not tried that, but I'd guess it's the same as my simple syrup. It seals the cake/cakes so they won't dry out. You can flavour the simple syrup too....almond, orange, vanilla, lemon.....adds a lovely subtle flavour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%