Help! Weird Bumpy Cake Recipe I Was Asked To Bake For Someone

Baking By OHaresTstyTrts Updated 11 Aug 2015 , 4:39pm by -K8memphis

OHaresTstyTrts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 3:43am
post #1 of 13

I need advice. It's a long story but basically I am making a birthday cake for someone's husband because they won't be around to do it. But they wanted me to use their MIL's Bumpy Cake Recipe. Reading the recipe the woman sent made me believe this wasn't a traditional bumpy cake recipe. The woman who asked me to bake this has never seen this cake before and doesn't know anything about baking. I sent her a picture of a traditional bumpy cake and apparently her MIL said that's how it's supposed to look but by the recipe she sent me, it's not even close.  This is the recipe that was sent to me: 

Aunt Meg's Bumpy Cake
Preheat oven 350 degrees 
Non stick spray 9x13 baking pan.
2 cups flour,
 1 1/3 cup white sugar,
 1/3teaspoon baking powder,
 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda, 1teaspoon salt, 
2/3 cup baking cocoa.
Mix all these ingredients together.
Add 2/3 cup of vegetable oil, 
1cup of water,
 1tsp of vanilla, 
and 3 eggs. 
Beat for about 5 minutes.
Pour into greased 9x13 pan.
Topping:
1 1/2 cups of Brown Sugar
1 stick of margarine. Cut together with pastry blender.
Sprinkle over batter. With knife cut cross vertical and horizontal so the some of topping works down in batter. Sprinkle with 6 oz chocolate chips. Place in oven for 35-40 minutes.
Let cool and top with whipped cream.

I baked it. It looks gross to me. I didn't use margarine on the top with the brown sugar, I used butter. I don't know. It just doesn't look good to me. I was going to try to bake it again but didn't know if anyone had any suggestions or advice. 
Also, The woman just told me to top it with whipped cream and not to worry about a fudge topping. I said ok. Not sure how the MIL could say that the traditional bumpy cake pic I sent looked right. Granted IT IS bumpy in a completely unappealing way to me. 
This is for tomorrow too. I'm probably going to be up all night. 

*Last edited by OHaresTstyTrts on 31 Jul 2015 , 3:53am
12 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 10:23am
post #2 of 13

Okay... I am going to ask... can't help it... What in all of creation is Bumpy Cake?

I tried to google it, but all I get are pictures of a chocolate cake with strips of icing and covered in fudge... Which look good, but not too odd...

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 10:53am
post #3 of 13

Ok we may have solved this one - I had NO idea what a bumpy cake was but a little targeted googling ascertained that there is a sanders bunny cake (chocolate cake with lines of buttercream and poured ganache) and a breakfast bumpy cake....described as a cake-crepe-pancake hybrid with an uneven surface - seems to be more like the recipe you had - very eggy with brown sugar/butter topping. Take a look - and might I say, it's the weirdest cake name I've ever heard....

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 11:08am
post #4 of 13

Sorry that's a sanders BUMPY cake....grrr, I hate autocorrect!

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 13

Is your traditional Bumpy Cake Recipe very different to Aunty Meg's? If it is similar in any kind of way could you use your recipe & let the lady think you had used Aunty Meg's recipe? That's the only thing I can think of. I know it's hiding the truth but she wants a Bumpy Cake that not only tastes good but obviously looks good too. personally I have not heard of this type of cake but the world is full of cake recipes.  Today was

Cook for Copyright in Australia where we could use the libraries & historical societies to search for an OLD recipe to cook.  It was great. 

Good luck with your Bumpy Cake.

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah, this recipe is not a Sanders Bumpy cake at all. I have regular bumpy cake recipes. Not sure why the MIL would say it's supposed to look like a sanders. Thanks @winniemog  I didn't find that hybrid thing when I was looking for what this could be. This cake is "bumpy" but not bc of buttercream ribbons and chocolate ganache. I sent this recipe to my mom who is my baking "guru" and she said it was an odd recipe. I ended up making two and will have to have my husband try the 1st one sitting on my counter. I would but I'm gluten intolerant

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 13

@seamusis20  I probably should have done that. That's what my husband said to do. A part of me feels like the MIL gave me a weird recipe on purpose but who knows. My grandmother and great grandmother used to do that to my mom all the time. Yeah, I am taking it to her now. I am just going to say I don't know if it's like the way his mom makes but I did my best haha. I gave her a discount anyway. So she can't complain and she doesn't know anything about baking. Haha

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 13

I don't know why you gave her a discount. She messed you around. 

I checked bumpy cakes online & the closest I have come to it was many years ago in the country. A bakery made such cakes using a very light marshmallow in tracks on the cake and for chocoholics - a dairy milk chocolate whipped ganache or marshmallow.    Covered with a very thin coating of chocolate. I'm sure they will be delighted with your bumpy cake.,

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 13

this is exactly why i never bake for pay with someone else's recipe nev.er.

my standard line is, 'i don't do legends'

y'know every recipe i have has certain little details that i don't write down anywhere -- no body could duplicate them with accuracy -- not that they wouldn't be good but not like mine --

also thanks for the heads up on bumpy cakes -- never heard of it before

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 3:07am
post #10 of 13

When I saw the question for this post I thought immediately of a Polish cake that's used for birthdays, introduced to me by a young man from Poland.  He baked it for me and I was amazed!  It's called Plesniak (not sure f the actual spelling, but it means "moldy" (spleśniałe)  I had the recipe in polish for a long time and had lost the English translation, but basically it was three balls of dough, kind of like a cookie dough/pie crust thing, you flavored one of the balls chocolate and the other two are just vanilla.  These go in the freezer.  Once they are hard enough to handle, you take a vanilla one and grate it into the bottom of a cake pan, then add a layer of fruit puree (prune is popular) then the chocolate ball is grated on top of that, then more fruit puree, then the last vanilla ball grated on top.  Then a mixture of egg whites and powdered sugar is dusted generously on top of it all and it's baked.  It comes out looking all lumpy-bumpy with some fruit bubbled up through the cracks and white dusty stuff looking...moldy  LOL.  It's really tasty and good with coffee for brunch or less sweet birthdays.

I'm going to look for that translated version of the recipe as now I want to make some!

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 3:40am
post #12 of 13

Yeah, I have learned my lesson @-K8memphis ! I will NOT be baking other peoples recipes. If for some crazy reason I decide to do that again I will be charging an "uber" premium. Thanks so much @rowantree ! I feel like I learn something new everyday. that's really interesting recipe. I may have to try just for my own curiosity. 

The crazy part of that whole experience is that they loved it! I saw the couple later that night and they were so happy they were able to have the cake and said it was awesome. To each their own I guess!

Thanks so much for everyones input!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 13

good for you and they loved it too -- it's a win win win

<3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%