Light Weight White Cake Recipe

Baking By mrsg1111 Updated 9 Sep 2015 , 8:36pm by Rfisher

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 18

Hi all,

I'm looking for a light weight moist spongey cake recipe.  I have a recipe i've been using for years and I love it but it is so heavy. It works great as i am usually covering my cakes in fondant. But i will be making a cake covered in buttercream and wanted to try something a little lighter maybe a sponge cake or something.  OR if i could figure out and fix whatever i am doing that is causing it to be so heavy.

Thank you in advance!

17 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 18

I recently tried making a chiffon cake, it was light an airy. I usually just do regular yellow cakes, not the pound-type cakes as those are heavy to me. I've never made a sponge, but that's next on my list to try. Also, butter-type cakes can be a bit dense, especially if you put them in the refrigerator. The chiffon I made was from the King Arthur's website (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chiffon-cake-recipe). Try it and see! :)

mrsg1111 Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 1:35am
post #3 of 18

Ooo.  That sounds like a great recipe.  I'll try that out.  Is it moist?

mrsg1111 Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 1:35am
post #4 of 18

Ooo.  That sounds like a great recipe.  I'll try that out.  Is it moist?

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 5:03am
post #5 of 18

i second the suggestion to use a chiffon cake!

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 18

Ice water white cake.

chiffons are great, but depending on how many yolks your recipe uses, & how dark those yolks are, they can vary in white-ness to yellow.

taking your current recipe and whipping some/all the eggwhites and folding them in will lighten it a bit.

overbaking any of these three suggestions will result in a not-moist cake.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 18

I've made the ice water white cake many times as well and love it. Very moist! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 18

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/tx2qu9co/ice-water-white-cake.html

like this ^^^ rf? 

i've never heard of it before and i've been hankering for some white cake -- probably make some cupcakes...soon

edited (because we can :) to say -- ice water anything right now is most appealing 

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 30 Jul 2015 , 11:17pm
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 18

i try to make a recipe as written at least once -- the only change i made was i didn't have superfine sugar so i whirred it in my ninja -- so pretty close -- and the cupcakes are great -- beautiful rise they are nice & light -- 

thank you, rf

<3

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 18

and another detail -- i did use margarine fleischman's unsalted*

and when i defrosted a frozen one versus one kept at room temp -- the texture of the frozen one was different -- not bad but not as soft -- no one would notice though --

*because of high triglycerides for the first time (i will be damned if i have to take one more freakin' pill -- exercise and diet will work or else -- cupcakes for breakfast is a good thing right? heheheheh)

mrsg1111 Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 18

I've never heard if ice water white cake.  Another one I will definitely be trying. I'll write back here to let you know how they come out! Thank you!!! ;)

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 1:58am
post #13 of 18

Did any of you try the ice water cake?  I want to try it since I also would like to find a lighter option...just wondering how ice water makes a difference ....

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 5:35pm
post #14 of 18

Hi Baking Buddies ~ I just made the Ice Water White Cake this past weekend.  Super OMG!!!!  It was delicious and very light.  I was extremely happy with this recipe and one that I will definitely be using again.  I don't know the difference that the ice water makes but this cake is the BOMB...  I added Princess Bouquet extract and made a fresh blueberry filling and Indydebi's crusting buttercream.  Total success on this cake.  This was the first time I used Indydebi's buttercream and it worked extremely well with the Viva paper towel method.  Smooth as silk!

Have a God Awesome Week everyone! 

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 11:43am
post #15 of 18

Have a look at the Joy of Baking's White Butter Cake recipe:  

The flavour is fantastic and can be compared with Betty Crocker's packet mix only it is far nicer. It produces a fine crumb with a closed texture which makes it ideal for filling and stacking. Chiffon cakes cannot be filled/stacked as they are far too spongy and delicate. 

Good luck!

cake-o-holic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-o-holic Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 18

Questions about the egg whites in the ice cold recipe.  Can I use the egg whites that come in a box? Measure out 1/2 cup?

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 18

Sorry for the late reply, Cake-o-holic, I just saw this post.  I cannot answer about the egg whites in a box.  I'm sorry but i just don't know.

Rfisher Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 18

Chiffon can too successfully be baked in layer pans & filled and stacked. I do it. I'm starting to actually prefer them over butter cakes.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%