How Long Does It Take You To Make Sugar Flowers?

Decorating By laztak Updated 9 Mar 2017 , 11:40pm by nadiacorallo

laztak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laztak Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 12:00am
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone!
Just had a question about sugar flowers. My boss is by profession a baker and has hired me as a cake decorator to work on the wedding cakes and the flowers. He is expecting me to produce a full rose in 2 or 3 minutes. As it stands I am able to complete around 30 full sized roses (Layers of 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, and 7 petals) in an 8 hour day, completing other tasks for about 2 of those hours whist my buds dry. So it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes overall per rose. 

I just wanted to ask other decorators how long it takes them as I feel like my boss wants to have an elaborate rose in the time it takes to do a simple one.
How long would it normally take you to do a medium to large rose suitable going into a wedding cake arrangement? And how about other flowers?
Thanks so much for all the advice!

2 replies
nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 3

Hi laztak, first of all I think your boss is off his rocker! Lol 2-3 minutes is so not enough time for a full rose. There's so many little steps involved in making roses that maybe he isn't accounting for? Colouring fondant, cutting out petals, forming them, manipulating them...

I make the flowers at the bakery I work at and it takes me at least 20 minutes per full rose consisting of petals 1-3-5-7-9 ish lol and yes I do feel like it takes a long time but honestly, I'm not a robot. If they wanted robot flowers then they could order them from a company that mass produces them...But even then, they don't come cheap. Your boss is paying for your skill originality, and they just need to charge the client accordingly for their cakes. Sugar flowers aren't easy! All in all I think you're doing well for yourself with that time frame!! 

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 3

I just realized your post was a year old lol... Woops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%