Fondant Cake Topper Advice

Decorating By Cali6422 Updated 13 Jul 2015 , 7:21pm by Cali6422

Cali6422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali6422 Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Fellow Cakers!

I come seeking your wisdom and guidance. J  I’m entering a beginners competition in fondant decorating and one of my design elements is a round and enclosed type of Tiki hut.

My plan isto grease a smooth cylindrical object (about the size of a beer bottle).  Then mix fondant with tylose powder and roll it out to medium thickness. I thought I'd wrap it around the bottle and allow to dry for a few days.  Once dry, my thought is to slide it off the bottle and finish the decorating.

Does anyone know if this will work?  Will it stick to the bottle once it dries?  I’m working on the assumption that it will not since I’ve wrapped fondant around things like straws and it slides off with no problem.  I’m just concerned by the fact that this will be much larger than what I’ve worked with before.

Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated.

6 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 7

Unless you place the fondant on something plastic that has a little give to it, you're going to have sticking issues. The fondant will stick to glass even after greasing it so I would suggest you wrap your object with plastic wrap first. Also make sure you leave just the tiniest opening at the seam. You'll need to lay the bottle down or suspend it on something so the fondant won't settle to the bottom and you won't have a flat side.

I did this with tall glass bud vases for castle towers for my daughter's wedding cake.  It's a good thing I was doing it way early since I had to start over 3 times!  

Cali6422 Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 7

J Gifford - Thank you so much for the tips!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 7

i would dust it with cornstarch instead of grease or maybe do both -- i would also make two or three -- can be nervatious to put all your fondant eggs into one beer bottle 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 7

or i guess i should say 'onto one beer bottle' 

:)

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 7

also you could knead some cornstarch into your fondant in place of or in addition to the tylose and it will dry even faster firmer crisper a quarter to a half cup or so

Cali6422 Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 7

k8memphis ... Thank you so much for the tips!  I'm going to try using some cornstarch along with the tylose ... I had no idea combining the two would work to make it dry even quicker. I'm so nervous about last minute problems, I'm actually making 3 of each component going on the cake - just in case of breakage.  I guess after the competition, I'll be taking some sort of beach / island inspired cake to someone's house (to get rid of extra pieces). lol

I can't say enough how much I enjoy this forum and the sharing of information. I love caking and I'm always trying to develop my skills (limited tho they may be) a little more with each cake. So this site with all the wonderful individuals willing to share their expertise, is invaluable.  Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%