First Wedding Cake Question For Humid Climate

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 30 Jun 2015 , 1:46pm by Laurieg

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 13

I'm doing my first wedding cake in July - I'm so excited but also nervous! Question - the bride wants a buttercream cake with a design around the middle of the middle tier that is inspired by the band on her engagement ring (kindof looks like an infinity symbol all the way around). My original plan was to make the design out of fondant from a mold. The cake has to travel an hour away - in the middle of July in Mississippi heat :/ I'm nervous the fondant decorations will slide off the cake by the time the reception starts (it will be inside). I've always done buttercream decorations on buttercream, or fondant decorations on fondant - never fondant on buttercream...so I don't know how well it will hold up. Should I figure out a way to pipe the design instead? I really don't want to take any chances!

Extra info - I'm using a crusting buttercream. Also, if it matters - I was planning to use a braid or rope mold from First Impressions...something like this one:  http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/br135braidedrope1x12x14.aspx

Would appreciate all input! Thanks so much!!!

12 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 13

It should be fine as long as the cake is kept refrigerated up until the minute you take it out and put it in a box for delivery. Tape the box up really well and make sure that air conditioning in the car is on full blast. As long as you keep it cold the whole way the box will insulate it better than you think. I'm thinking of a regular brown moving box, too, nothing fancy.

annakat444 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 13

Ok...yes, the box will have to be something bigger than a standard cake box because the middle tier is actually 2 10" tiers, so it'll be tall. Where's the best place to find a tall box?

costumeczar Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 13

I just go to Staples and get the brown moving boxes. An 18" cube works fine for most cakes but they do have some that are bigger. If you're not confident about transporting the whole thing stacked because of the taller center tier you can always take the top tier separately and finish the assembly on-site. And it sounds weird, but here's a video I did about how I put together a box to transport cakes. Believe it or not, I found out the hard way that there's a wrong way to put a box together for that purpose :/  

annakat444 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you!!!! I'll check it out. I actually have to transport all tiers separate because flowers are going inbetween the tiers, so I'll assemble on-site. I'm worried about the double 10" tier wobbling during transport though. I'm thinking I'll dowel it into a drum and I'll have to set the drum on the separator plate for the flowers. Hopefully that'll work? ha!

annakat444 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 13

I just found your store! You have some great molds and I found one that was the exact design I was planning to pipe. Score! Just ordered it, can't wait to get it. It looks lightweight enough that it shouldn't come off the buttercream. So excited. Thanks!!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 13

@CostumeCzar--I like the cake box video-it's not weird at all.

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 2:08am
post #8 of 13

Quote by @Apti on 3 hours ago

@CostumeCzar--I like the cake box video-it's not weird at all.

I always just found it a little weird that people would find a video about a box helpful, but I know that the question does come up!

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 2:09am
post #9 of 13

Quote by @annakat444 on 3 hours ago

I just found your store! You have some great molds and I found one that was the exact design I was planning to pipe. Score! Just ordered it, can't wait to get it. It looks lightweight enough that it shouldn't come off the buttercream. So excited. Thanks!!!

Just make sure to not overfill the mold so that the back is rounded, and it will fit on the surface of the cake better. :)

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 2:10am
post #10 of 13

Quote by @costumeczar on 1 second ago

Quote by @annakat444 on 3 hours ago

Just make sure to not overfill the mold so that the back is rounded, and it will fit on the surface of the cake better. :)

I mean that the back should NOT be rounded, if you overfill it and the back isn't flat it won't sit flat on the cake and it will be harder to get it to stick. 

annakat444 Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 3:44am
post #11 of 13

I got it! I've used molds several times before, just never applied them to buttercream. You're sure they won't come off? I'm counting on you ;) The separate tiers will be boxed in the fridge and will go straight into a cold car. FYI, I watched your video - very helpful! Thanks!!!

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 13

The best way to put it on the cake is to get the cake cold so the icing is firm, then put buttercream on the back of the molded piece and press it into the cake. That way you can really press it on and you won't mush the icing on the cake. Then put the cake back in the fridge until it's time to deliver it. As long as the cake is cold and the molded piece isn't too thick (don't overfill the mold!) it won't come off.

You can also join my facebook group for people who have bought stuff from me to ask questions directly, I tend to see that more than here because I'm not getting notifications for some reason. It's www.facebook.com/caketutorialtips. If I don't "let you in" at first send me a message on my business page.

Laurieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurieg Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 13

I live in NC by the beach. don't underestimate heat and humidity! my wonderful hubby made me the best box for such situations. I had to deliver a cake in the heat of summer 2 1/2 hours by car, 20 minutes by ferrry boat and the rest of the wayby golf cart down a bumpy road. talk about stressful! follow costumeczar's directions but line the boxes with the blue foam sheathing you get from Home Depot. Use a box bigger than you need to accomodate the extra width of the sheathing. use scrap pieces of sheathing to section offf the inside to make a square space to hold some dry ice. smaller cakes can be packed in individual sections in the same box. cakes can even be secured even further by shoving scewers into the foam to keep things from sliding. it is like your own refrigerated boxes! remember too, cold cake meets hot air means sweaty cake. unpack in airconditioned room.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%