Quilt Print On Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By New2CakeIndus Updated 27 Jun 2015 , 3:58pm by SquirrellyCakes

New2CakeIndus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
New2CakeIndus Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone made a quilt print on cream cheese frosting?  a client asked for this but afraid frosting might be too soft for this. Please advise.

Many thanks 

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

Would you please explain further what you mean by, "quilt print" so that we may understand your concern?  What kind of design do you have in mind for the individual squares? 

I find that when I pipe with cream cheese icing, I have to be really fast because the heat of my hands makes the already soft icing, really runny after a short time.

If you are piping stars - the way we do with character cakes, it is doable. But you need to refrigerate your icing batch and use the smaller sized icing bags rather than the large one. Otherwise by the time you get through half the icing, the remainder will be sloppy. Keep the remaining icing refrigerated between icing bag refills.

I speak from the experience of making individual bunny  and egg carrot cakes with cream cheese icing, at Easter time.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 4

Imprint design will only be able to be done with a crusting cream cheese. Which by nature by the time you add enough PS to get a dry surface, the CC taste is going away. Then you'll have to decide if you want to start adding cc flavoring.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 4

Rfisher, I didn't realize New2CakeIndus might mean a "Quilt imprint design" since she or he stated "Quilt print design", which is totally different but your interpretation is likely the right one.

In all the years that I have been making cream cheese icing, I have never been able to make it crust. You must have to use such a small quantity of cream cheese to powdered sugar that as you say, it will no longer be cream cheese icing. Possibly adding extra corn starch or cream of tartar powder would help. I don't think meringue powder would do anything.

I guess I would try 1/4 cup cream cheese, 1 tablespoon corn starch, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and experiment from there.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%