Frosting Made With Heavy Whipping Cream Question...

Decorating By Starlite0864 Updated 17 Jun 2015 , 12:48am by littlemo12

Starlite0864 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starlite0864 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 4

I'm pretty new to making cakes but my question  is, if I made a buttercream frosting with heavy whipping cream in the recipe, could I possibly make the frosting 2 days prior to decorating and refrigerate it and then sit it out to let it thaw so I could decorate or would this just be a bad idea? Lol.... if so could anyone send me to a link that has a buttercream frosting recipe that isn't overwhelmingly sweet and that I could make 1 or 2 days prior to frosting the cake? Thank you!!!

3 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 12:39am
post #2 of 4

I've made the Wilton Extra Special Buttercream [with heavy whipping cream] for years.  When I first got the recipe in my Wilton class book, it never mentioned refrigeration.  Now, the website says it needs refrigerating.

Personally, I don't worry about refrigeration with it because it has no water added to it and it's loaded with fats and sugar [natural preservatives].  I decorate with it and usually leave the cake at room temp--about 2 days, usually.  I tell clients to refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.

I'd check your recipe against the Wilton one and if the ratios are about the same, I'd be comfortable leaving it at room temp for an extended period of time.

floralfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floralfun Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 12:48am
post #3 of 4

I've also used this recipe for years, never had any problem with leaving it at room temperature unless it is extremely hot and humid.  At room temperature it is fine for a day or two.  I do keep it cold and refrigerated before traveling with the cake.

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 12:48am
post #4 of 4

Amazing icing .... american buttercream, but not overly sweet. Its ratio is way different than your average buttercream .... its 2 lbs of butter, 2 lbs of shortening, 2 lbs of powdered sugar. I have started using this for the majority of my cakes. Its really light and not so sweet. I end up using about 3 lbs of the powdered sugar .... I live in Texas and the humidity is crazy here. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%