Fondant Problems

Decorating By Bizcorriquenos Updated 16 Jun 2015 , 4:27am by julia1812

Bizcorriquenos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bizcorriquenos Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 7:34am
post #1 of 5

Hi. I'm new in this awesome page, and I saw that the people help each other, which is so very nice and kind of everyone here. My problem with the fondant is, when I finishing using it, I save the rest of it. I normally do more fondant the I should when I'm doing a cakes, so the rest of the fondant I wrap it in plastic wrap, I put it in a ziplock and then I saved it in a container. I don't know why, but When I am going to use it again. It looks kinda sweaty, to hard to work with and no matter how I try to avoid it, ants ends entering, I end up throwing them away. That's a lot of product and money in the trash. Please some advice. I really appreciate you're help. Thanks in advance.

PS: The weather in Puerto Rico also can be part of the Problem. PLEASE HELP!!

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 7:54am
post #2 of 5

I'm sure the weather in your area has everything to do with your fondant problems.  Most of us have problems with our fondant drying out.  Here's a link that might have something to help you out:  http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/795078/best-way-to-store-fondant#post_7594219

The good news is that if the ants are interested in your fondant it must be good :)  Good luck!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 9:09am
post #3 of 5

Welcome to cc.

I don't blame the weather anymore for any recipe mailfunction. So far I found that you simply need to adjust recipes to your climate and they'll work. I use buttercream and fondant all the time without problems. Yes, ants are a problem and you will either have to invest in better zip lock bags/ airtight containers or freeze it. Are you using rolled or marshmallow fondant ? Mmf needs to be microwaved before using it or it will be too hard. If you use rolled fondant you might wanna cut down on the icing sugar when making it. Wait until it's cured and add more if necessary  (or some cornstarch).

The fact that ants could get to your fondant and that it is dry is because it was exposed to air for a long time.

Hope that helped?

Bizcorriquenos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bizcorriquenos Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for both!!

I use both, but more the marshmellow fondant, is the easy to make and its really good to taste, and people likes it. Yes everything is helpful. I appreciate it, thanks again!!! I will try do what you said :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 4:27am
post #5 of 5

Phew...good.

So try and pop you mmf in the microwave - checking (=feeling/kneading) it every 10 secs if it's soft. It will be soft and hot INSIDE, so be careful not to overheat it and/or to burn your fingers when kneading. 

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%