Fondant Consistency

Decorating By soccertomato Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 10:22pm by MKC

soccertomato Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccertomato Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All! I have tried making MMF 4 different times. I am following what seems to be a pretty simple recipe: 16 oz mini marshamallows, 1/4 c. water, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 lbs. confectioner's sugar. Heat the marshmallows, add water and vanilla, stir in powdered sugar until stiff, turn out and knead on heavily greased counter top until its like play-dough...

My problem: First-I end up using almost 2X the powdered sugar than the recipe calls for...Second-It's always generally sticky-I don't get a smooth, play-dough like quality out of it--So, how can I change this? I've been reading a ton here and there, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating not knowing what a batch will produce...especially because I am an incredibly experienced baker and have an arsenal of recipes that will come out exactly the same every time. Sometimes it tears too easily (I know this is too dry), or it's just always sticky (keep adding powdered sugar??) Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 7

Wow, double the amount sounds a lot of icing sugar. I use f.e. 300g marshmallows, 2tbsp butter, 2 tbsp syrup, 1tbsp water and 600g icing sugar (plus a little more if needed). Mmf is always sticky-ish. Not like rolled fondant. I use shortening on the work surface and on my hands to work it. That prevents the stickiness.  But it's always greasy. Good greasy,not sticky greasy :) Hope that helps! 

Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

Only thing I know that's different is I add the water and vanilla before melting and coat the marshmallows with it but I don't think that it would affect it the way you're saying and I don't go by a recipe I just go by instinct

Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

And when you roll it out don't just use shortening but add a thin layer of powdered sugar too I've found it really helps me

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 7

I think your recipe has way too much water...try this recipe

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html 

soccertomato Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccertomato Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 7

Hi All-  

Thanks so much for the advice. I used a little from each of you--less water, adding that and vanilla beforehand, greased hands and spatula, etc. and it worked like a charm! This was the best batch I've made and it came out exactly like I thought fondant was supposed to! SO-Thank-you!!!!

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 7

I had problems with tearing fondant until I used this recipe which had glycerin...it makes a huge difference. Also the ingredients are by weight which helps a lot with getting consistent results. The amount of powdered sugar varies however based on the weather. I do not use the butter extract instead add more vanilla extract.

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%