Scary Phone Call

Business By karateka Updated 28 Jan 2007 , 8:00pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 5

Do you ever have those moments when the hair stands up on the back of your neck and your "spidey sense" tingles?

I just got off the phone with a lady who wanted a ballpark price estimate for a wedding cake for her aunt. I told her a reasonable beginning estimate was $2/serving for buttercream, yadda yadda. Then she asked about "fudge" filling between the layers and would that cost more. I explained that it probably would, since chocolate is expensive, and that would be determined by how much would be needed. She thanked me and then said, "oh, I need your name" I told her and she spelled it out and wrote it down. (You can tell when someone does that). It just made me feel all freaky. Not sure why. I can't sell stuff that has to be refrigerated, but I was under the impression that chocolate truffles are made from ganache and I've never seen them refrigerated. And the cream undergoes a heat step....am I wrong on this?

I've gotten a LOT of requests for cakes outside of state lines ever since I wrote the board of agriculture for clarification of their rules for delivering cakes to a venue outside of Ohio. I could be paranoid, but I'm starting to feel like the board is setting people up to test me.

So what's the verdict? Am I paranoid? Or should I relax?

4 replies
Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

hmm, I am new to this so I don't really have an answer for you. so sorry! I hope it's just an overreaction, though. Do they do things like that? Set ppl up?

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 5

If I were you, I'd try to relax. You aren't doing anything that you aren't supposed to be doing. I'm not sure how long whipped ganache can stay out but you could even do a fudge buttercream that could stay out longer. Even if someone is checking up on you, you're totally following the regulations. Relax and enjoy the fact that you're allowed to bake from home!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 5

I can't imagine them taking the time to set someone up...they would probably just go straight to you and ask whatever questions they have. The lady that called probably wanted to know your name so when/if she calls back she can ask to speak to you since she spoke to you the first time.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 5

Oh, good. I don't mind being paranoid. I'd rather be paranoid than right. I've been having such a crappy week, my radar must be off. Thanks for helping me relax! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%