Silicone Looking Something Found In The Cake???

Baking By ashley87k Updated 5 Jun 2015 , 3:35pm by ropalma

ashley87k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87k Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 12

As I was leveling a cake to stack I found a long silicone like piece baked in the cake??? Does anyone know what this is?? The only thing I could think of would maybe be the egg whites baking strangely inside the cake?? Has this ever happened to anyone or what there actually silicone or something strange in the pillsbury cake mix.....

11 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 12

It was probably something inside Pillsbury box, after all everything is made in China or overseas. I would imagine that they have no inspectors over in China to inspect quality any more like when made in America.  Sad to say but factories being over here in America are a thing of the past. America has been sold out by the politicians!! It's the American Way,  that is by the government to still have slave labor overseas!! The Chinese could poison us very easily if they wanted to. Even when making from scratch cakes, the flour and everything we use comes from China or overseas!!!

Curious to see if others think that this silicone thing could have been in box of cake mix!!!

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 1:57am
post #3 of 12

That's quite a broad paintbrush you are painting with, remnant.

OP, there's no possible way we can even guess what it is, by the limited information we have. If you are sincerely concerned about the object coming from the mix, contact Pillsbury. But you'll likely need to give them more information than what you have provided here.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 2:02am
post #4 of 12

Write the company a letter and send them what you found unless you notice there's a chunk missing from one of your spatulas!

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 3:58am
post #5 of 12

Quote by @remnant3333 on 11 hours ago

It was probably something inside Pillsbury box, after all everything is made in China or overseas. I would imagine that they have no inspectors over in China to inspect quality any more like when made in America.  Sad to say but factories being over here in America are a thing of the past. America has been sold out by the politicians!! It's the American Way,  that is by the government to still have slave labor overseas!! The Chinese could poison us very easily if they wanted to. Even when making from scratch cakes, the flour and everything we use comes from China or overseas!!!

Curious to see if others think that this silicone thing could have been in box of cake mix!!!

I don't know when the last time you were in china was, but my spouse just got back a week ago. He works in supply chain management so his job is to audit some of those companies that produce products to be sold here.   You would be surprised at the life those "slave laborers" live.  First of all, they work their tails off.   Their work ethic blows away anything in this country.  But you may be surprised Many of them make more than us a month and pretty much everyone in the industrial/urban areas wear super expensive clothes and drive nice cars and have iPhones....which cost far more than they do here.  My husband was SHOCKED at how much their ecomony had boomed in the last 5 years.  

ashley87k Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:39am
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone

ashley87k Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:41am
post #7 of 12

Thanks everyone

ashley87k Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:42am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone - no it wasn't my spatula lol I'm a beginner baker and cake decorator and just figured it was something I wasn't aware of - like eggs baking in the cake incorrectly? (The ONLY thing I could logically put together). I'm really convinced though that it was something in the mix...I mean, no joke it looks like the aortic valve of the Keibler Elf they sacrificed

ashley87k Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:44am
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone - no it wasn't my spatula lol I'm a beginner baker and cake decorator and just figured it was something I wasn't aware of - like eggs baking in the cake incorrectly? (The ONLY thing I could logically put together). I'm really convinced though that it was something in the mix...I mean, no joke it looks like the aortic valve of the Keibler Elf they sacrificed lol never seen anything like it. Wish I could show yall pictures on here. Anyhow, I'll write the company and send photos. Thanks again!

Sorry for the repeat posts - just realized that if I post an emoticon it cuts out the entire text after that emoticon... 

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 1:25am
post #10 of 12

I had that happen once in a batch of brownies. I figured it was the egg whites as I only mixed the eggs in with a fork and probably didn't get mixed in well enough. 

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 2:28am
post #11 of 12

If it was something in the dry mix you would have noticed it if it was that big while you were mixing everything up.  But that's just my opinion because well I know when I'm baking and using box mixes I watch what I'm dumping in the mixer and something large enough to be noticed would have stuck out to me.  On that note when I do use box I'm a Duncan girl ;)

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 12

I sift my cake mixes. You will find anything this way before baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%