Lego Studs

Decorating By katie11 Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 12:12pm by katie11

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 5

I'm searching for the best way to make the studs for the tops of Lego brick cakes.  I've heard all different ideas (marshmallows, cupcakes, brownies, sugar cookies, thick fondant, two Oreos stacked), but I want to know the "best" method that will give the cleanest look that matches with a buttercream frosted brick.  One person used tea light holders filled with buttercream - that grossed me out.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Katie

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 5

For all of the choices you listed above I think two stacked Oreos  glued together with chocolate would give you the cleanest, most uniform, most stable "studs".

cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

I used marshmallows..  Put food colouring in water to the shade I wanted, dipped the marshmallows attached to a toothpick, then placed on styrofoam to dry..  The darker you want them, the more you dip.  (Must be dry before each dip to hold colour).  Worked great !  And made my buttercream after to match the competed marshmallows.

cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 5

This is a better tutorial than the one I used.  (Was trying to upload my cake..  Don't know how)...Less water more colour for a bolder outcome on the first try..  http://www.youaremyfave.com/2012/06/08/dip-dyed-marshmallows-are-my-fave-guest-post-from-kelly/

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you!  I'm actually going to use your marshmallow idea for a graduation order I have this weekend as well. What a novel idea!  So much easier than trying to cover in buttercream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%