Gum Tex Tylose Vs Tylose Powder

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 18 May 2015 , 9:46pm by HamSquad

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 18 May 2015 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 3

I am ordering tylose powder online,  I  see that wilton has a gumtex/tylose powder that I have never seen, I usually just see gum tex.  hand anyone used this in place of regular tylose powder, you can get more bang for your buck , but I want to be sure it works good for gumpaste recipes, or if I should just stick to my ck tylose powder. tia

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 May 2015 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 3

Gumtex isn't the same thing as tylose as far as I know, it never worked the same for me. I see that they've started referring to it as gum tex tylose, but that could just be advertising unless they've changed the formula. I'd read the ingredients before buying because if it isn't tylose it won't work the same.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 May 2015 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 3

I hope this helps and I hope others will comment on this! I have used Wilton Gumtex before I knew what Tylose was. Tylose in my humble opinion works much better on gum-paste flowers, shoes and decorations with out the fear of moisture during rain. I've had items to break with the Gum-tex, quite sensitive to moisture. I still use Gum-tex with Wilton fondant when I'm making decorations (borders, fondant swags) meaning if it is going to eaten from the "Curious", that's when I use it, but just not for flowers and such. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%