Homemade Vanilla?

Decorating By pbeckwith Updated 28 Sep 2005 , 8:39pm by pbeckwith

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 4

So, I started my homemade vanilla over the weekend and just wanted to check to make sure I'm doing it right. Three vanilla beans cut in half and sliced lenghthwise in a fifth of vodka. Shake daily for a month. Strain that out and add two more beans for another month.
Two questions, the last two beans - are they sliced and split also and do they just stay in the vodka or strained out after the second month?
One more question, it seems a shame to just throw the beans out, is there any flavor left in them and can they be used for something else?

3 replies
MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

Dry them out and store them in a jar of sugar. You get the most wonderful vanilla flavoured sugar to use in puddings and desserts

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 4

pbeckwith....if i did it correctly....at the bottom should be your link to a long discussion about homemade vanilla....if it doesn't work....do a search under pure vanilla extract in the recipe tip forum and you will find it.....you'll see in my message that i also use bourbon in with my vodka......( us southern girls will find any way we can to use bourbon!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gif )....but i do not strain mine - a lot of flavour is in those seeds......and depending on how your vanilla looks at the end of the month you may or may not have to add more beans...............and i agree with MissBaritone......when you're done...they are great to use in sugar!!!!

but anyway look in that discussion...let me know if i can help any more!!!
Donna usaribbon.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663-make.html+vanilla

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the link. I did a search but was searching for "homemade vanilla" and got too frustrated with the computer. Sometimes I feel like I spend way too much time on this machine and get impatient.
My vanilla will be done just in time for my Christmas baking!! Can't wait to taste the difference. It smells good already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%