Taking Pictures Of Cake And Cupcake Creations!

Lounge By minicoopermel Updated 15 May 2015 , 2:44am by Apti

minicoopermel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicoopermel Posted 14 May 2015 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering what people use for backdrops or lighting to take pictures of their cakes. I make cakes from home so I have regular lighting and not a crazy amount of space. 

I'm thinking about using a white tablecloth or fabric and hanging it up somehow. 

I just want the cakes to look good in the picture and not worry about seeing my outlets or kitchen decor.  My kitchen table is usually the only thing I take pictures on because it's a nice color and is in great shape. 

Just wanted some cheap or creative thoughts! :) Thanks!

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 May 2015 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, use a plain white backdrop.  The lighting in my house is awful and I usually finish late at night so taking a good picture without a studio set up is pretty tough.  Cheap solution?  Picasa.  It will allow you to use "fill light" to brighten the entire picture as well as adjust the photos colors to better match real life.  My camera just cannot read purple correctly.  Even with adjustments I can't get it exact but it's closer. 

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 14 May 2015 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

I use a science project poster board.   It has two folds, three panels and stands up well behind the cake.

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 14 May 2015 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 6

I use the science project tri-panel poster board thing too.  I get about a yard of fabric, usually light colors, as the dark colors seem to swallow a-l-l the light, and tape it to the poster board, draping the bottom part of the fabric over my cake stand.  Works great, and helps to hide all the light reflections on my counter when I'm taking pictures.

And I use the fill light thing on Picasa also, but I've noticed that when I get my pictures printed (I use Walgreen's) after using the fill light, there's quite a yellow cast to everything. 

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 14 May 2015 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 6

I went to buy a bunch of fabrics in different colours and I use those as a backdrop, it works great!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 May 2015 , 2:44am
post #6 of 6

I use the tri-fold poster boards as well.  I've purchased 2 in white and 2 in black.  All you need is about 3 feet of clear space to set them up and you have a clutter free background.

I created an entire tutorial thread on another forum with lots of photos and specific information.   Hope the information helps.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=159822

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%