Acrylic "boards" For Upside Down Method

Lounge By snazzycakes1 Updated 15 May 2015 , 3:07pm by SandraDee73

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 11 May 2015 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

does anyone use acrylic boards for ganaching or buttercreaming your cake tiers when using the upside down method.  this would be in place of always using an extra cake board and tossing it.  if you do have acrylic rounds, where do you get them?  tia

8 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 May 2015 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 9
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 12 May 2015 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 9

I also get square ones from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00844SOSE

Love them!

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 12 May 2015 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 9

I use acrylic ganache boards with 'Glad Go-Between' (Freezer wrap) but use the right way up method - one less step and so much easier not to flip over a huge & heavy 12" cake.  For square cakes I also use acrylic scrapers/little squares against the sides to make perfect corners.  

Acrylic Ganache boards work awesome with both ganache & smbc.  And I have used them for so many other cake decorating things too.  They wash up in the dishwasher too :-)

I bought mine from Kelly's Cake Toppers in Australia. 

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 12 May 2015 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9

I got mine from cakethings, I liked them because they have them a quarter inch bigger, so you have room for icing/ganache

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 13 May 2015 , 1:25am
post #6 of 9

Depending on where you're located, try your local acrylic/plastic cutting shop similar to TapPlastic or Eplastics. So much cheaper, can be customized to your own spec., no shipping.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 May 2015 , 2:34am
post #7 of 9

cakethings, as didavista says, have them a quarter inch bigger. They also have them with a hole in the center to keep the two (top and bottom) centered. Not sure but I think they even sent me an acrylic little dowel for the center.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 May 2015 , 2:37am
post #8 of 9

And as Magic Mouthfuls (love your name) say, you don't have to flip cakes. You could use freezer wrap on top in between the acrylic board and your ganache/buttercream.

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 15 May 2015 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 9

I purchased mine from eBay. 4 sets of 2 discs (4.5", 6.5", 8.5", 10.5")

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151662313651?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Came to $56 including shipping.

I used a set for the first time last night and I LOVE the results of using the upside down method.

Learning: The piece of parchment I used between the cake and the acrylic on the top side of the cake should probably go to within a 1/2" of the edge and my cake should have sat in the fridge/freezer to chill longer, as it was a little difficult to get the acrylic off the buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%