Questions About Gumpaste (Long)

Decorating By irelandshs Updated 13 Feb 2007 , 5:10am by irelandshs

irelandshs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irelandshs Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:36am
post #1 of 34

I have this bad habit of biting off more than I can chew when it comes to trying new cake techniques and then getting stuck. I decided to make this fantasy cake for a friend of my husband who is into that sort of stuff. I wanted to make a dragon and cave full of treasure. That somehow turned into the cave, a feisty mama dragon with a ripped wing, and a wizard. this was my first time using gumpaste and my first time trying to model anything in any medium. So I just started to mess with the gumpaste and see how it went. I didn't tint the gumpaste because I figured I would scrap it. Low and behold, I can live with how they came, they're not great, but I could have done worse. So now I'm left with two stark white figures, fully assembled and rock hard. My questions are

1. If I use Americolor gels to paint them, how does the gel dry? Does it become sticky, stay glossy, or dry matte? I'm wondering because If I paint the dragon green, would I be able to use petal dust and or luster dusts to shade it.

2. Is it better to assemble then paint, or paint then assemble? (for future reference)

3. What advice do you guys have on the figures themselves? I'm not asking to pad my ego, I genuinely want to know how to do this better in the future.

4. Can you airbrush dried gumpaste? (I have an airbrush and haven't used it yet)

5. How does gumpaste travel??? Should I be worried about breakage? I wont be with my husband when he goes to drop it off, so my idea was to have the cave and dragon fully assembled on their own cake boar (as the cave floor) and he could just put the whole board on top of a doweled cake. I'm concerned that the whole thing will shatter if its too thin, especially since I've never used it, I don't know how it reacts to bumps and such.

Thanks so much in advance. You guys are so talented, I am amazed everyday by something someone has created. The help is much appreciated.

Image[/img]

33 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:46am
post #2 of 34

I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but to the ones I do:

2. For me it'd be easier to paint and then assemble but this really is a tricky thing to answer because of how gumpaste is. It'd depend on if you're assemblage would require that the gumpaste still be "fresh", etc. If I had a steady hand and the colors weren't complete opposites I'd paint after assembled because of the drying. The answers to this question really differentiate because of those several variables. Maybe someone can give you a better, clearer answer.

5. The gumpaste work I've done (which has only been two things) has traveled fine. But keep in mind that it depends on how fragile (i.e. small intricate details) your piece is along with if it is already on the cake and where on the cake and how far you are traveling and where.

I'm sorry I wasn't much help, but your questions really have no black and white answers.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:53am
post #3 of 34

I would use dust to color the dragon. The put a fine dusting of super pearl, then steam it. it will give it s sheen that will stay.

I mostly assemble, then color. Be careful how you put together though, b/c if you get the "glue (I use eggwhite) on parts you don't mean to, it won't take color in that spot.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:57am
post #4 of 34

I can't offer any advice as I haven't worked much in gumpaste but . . .I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your figures, especially your dragon!! I just love it!! I hope you are getting paid well for your obvious talent!! Please post a pic of the finished product!! Look forward to seeing more of your work!

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:04am
post #5 of 34

WOW! That's your first attempt at gumpaste! Those look fantastic, like something you'd find in collectible stores!

irelandshs Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 34

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the dusts, but I was hoping to get a deep color which was why I was wondering how the gels dry. Any other thoughts on how to color these? Like I said I have an airbrush, but I personally feel like I have better control with a paint brush. TIA

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 34

If you use the gels and vodka, you should be fine. If there's anything you can airbrush, I'd go that route (eliminates brush stroke marks). If you've never used your airbrush though, make sure you practice on something else (I usually do a few "strokes" onto a paper towel to adjust pressure and make sure the color is what I want).

Good luck! Your figures are wonderful!

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 34

Your figures are incredible! I can't wait to see them finished!

1. If I use Americolor gels to paint them, how does the gel dry? Does it become sticky, stay glossy, or dry matte? I'm wondering because If I paint the dragon green, would I be able to use petal dust and or Luster Dust to shade it.

*If you use gel colors to paint with, thin them SLIGHTLY with lemon or orange extract or vodka- something with a high alcohol content so it will evaporate quickly. It will be sticky at first, then dry to a matte finish, It could take several days to dry completely. Then you will be able to use the dusts.*

2. Is it better to assemble then paint, or paint then assemble? (for future reference)

*I'm not sure what you mean. I would paint after the figure is complete, but before putting on the cake. You can also color the gumpaste so you don't have to paint as much.*

3. What advice do you guys have on the figures themselves? I'm not asking to pad my ego, I genuinely want to know how to do this better in the future.

*Your figures are incredible. Seriously.*

4. Can you airbrush dried gumpaste? (I have an airbrush and haven't used it yet)

*Absolutely! But like BrandiBakes said- practice first.*

5. How does gumpaste travel??? Should I be worried about breakage? I wont be with my husband when he goes to drop it off, so my idea was to have the cave and dragon fully assembled on their own cake boar (as the cave floor) and he could just put the whole board on top of a doweled cake. I'm concerned that the whole thing will shatter if its too thin, especially since I've never used it, I don't know how it reacts to bumps and such.

*It will travel fine as long as nothing falls on it. Put some non-slip shelf liner under the board so it doesn't slide around.*

Hope this helps- good luck!

irelandshs Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 34

I just wanted to thank you guys for all your help. I finished the figures and since I wont be doing the cake until Friday I figured I would post some pics of the finished pieces now. I messed up the eyes on the dragon and wizard, but other than that I'm ok with how everything turned out. I'm going to go take a much needed break now, try to get rid of my migraine, and play with my Wii. Thanks again for all the help, you guys are awesome!
Jamie

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:15am
post #10 of 34

I love it and so will the friend it's for! Now go and rest!!!!

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:29am
post #11 of 34

wow, you have done a great job! I am sure they will be very very pleased with it- first time.........c'mon.....

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:41am
post #12 of 34

Wow! Teach me! Those are wonderful!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #13 of 34

WOW WOW these are great!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:29am
post #14 of 34

Those are gorgeous!! Great job!!!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #15 of 34

These are amazing!! and the painting is perfect!!

irelandshs Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:42am
post #16 of 34

aww thanks so much! I swear it was my first time with gumpaste. I had bought a package of it over the summer but something was wrong with it, it felt like it had little glass beads in it. I couldnt even roll it out, so I just threw it out and was really discouraged to try it again, but I really wanted to make these and have them dry as quickly as possible. Things were much better this time around, so hopefully I can try some gumpaste flowers now that I have had some better luck with the gumpaste itself.
This is a little off topic here, but does anyone know how long buttercream lasts in the refridgerator? Its crisco and water based, plus its been in a tightly sealed tupperware bowl. I have this thing where I can't tell if things have gone bad, so usually I just throw things out after a day or two, but theres a double batch in there and it seems like a lot to waste. I suppose I could just go get DH to check it for me... icon_lol.gif

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:58am
post #17 of 34

Buttercream(water based) can last 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Months if frozen. I personally will still use my buttercream after 2 months in the refrigerator, but I start to use that for decorations only. I'll frost with a brand new batch.

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 3:53pm
post #18 of 34

Your figures are amazing - both before and after they were painted - if that was your first try, I can't wait to see what you can do after you've had more practice!

I'm going to try some modelling soon, so I was wondering, did you mould them completely by hand, or are there tools you used (I have nothing yet, as I've always worked with buttercream before), it would be really helpful to know what tools I should have to get me started.

Kelly

p.s. I love your signature, sooo funny! icon_lol.gif

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #19 of 34

I am so impressed. Your figures certainly don't look like "first timers." Keep on modeling because people love those special, personal touches. I can't wait to hear about your husband's friend's response. Way to go.

irelandshs Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:51pm
post #20 of 34

[quote="kelly75"]I'm going to try some modelling soon, so I was wondering, did you mould them completely by hand, or are there tools you used (I have nothing yet, as I've always worked with buttercream before), it would be really helpful to know what tools I should have to get me started.[quote]

I used the Wilton Confectionery Tool Set, the Wilton Perfect Height Rolling Pin, I used my KitchenAid bowl to mold the cave, I used my KitchenAid cutting board to roll it out on because its like a stiff silpat, nothing sticks to it, but its not flexible... I used an exacto knife set I got at A.C. Moore for $10, a couple of hard plastic lollipop sticks for support in the thinner areas, some water and paintbrushes to wet things to get them to stick. I googled for some images for inspiration, (and used my husbands gaming books too) but i just grabbed a glob and kneeded it until it was soft and pliable and i just started to get the basic overall shape. The tool I think I used the most was the larger end of the veining tool for smoothing out the seams. I also used a little plastic clay extruder for the wizards hair but I hated it. It took a good 20 minutes for me to just get the beard out, so I'm looking for a better way to do that in the future. As for the painting, I used petal dusts dry for the skin on the wizard, luster dust and highlighter dust mixed with vodka for the painting, and disco dusts in the cave for the jems. I used my airbrush for painting the cave, simply because I had it so it saved some time for me. I think that's about it, but if you have any questions about what I did, you can always pm me and I will try to help you out the best I can. Good luck with your figures!

The kit I got was similar to the second one, but much cheaper because it was an off brand
http://www.hobbyplace.com/tools/xacsets.php
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C96E-475A-BAC0-5A07E76ADD836146&fid=3E32BC16-475A-BAC0-52CBFB3D90D5CAE5
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2C4D5B07-802D-F658-05420B72820630B2&fid=2C4D5B27-802D-F658-00EA73A3D7825C3D

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:18pm
post #21 of 34

Wow! Great info - thanks! Time to go shopping I think! icon_lol.gif

Kelly

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:21pm
post #22 of 34

I am truly amazed at your figures. Great job?? Please tell me how you got the gold such a solid, bright color. Which dust did you use, exactly and what did you mix it with? I have still never been able to get a solid gold color. Again, Great Work!!!!

irelandshs Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:03pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

I am truly amazed at your figures. Great job?? Please tell me how you got the gold such a solid, bright color. Which dust did you use, exactly and what did you mix it with? I have still never been able to get a solid gold color. Again, Great Work!!!!

for the wings I used Super Gold Luster Dust mixed with Skyy Berry Vodka (because its what I had in the house and it smells pretty) and for everything else on the dragon and in the cave I used gold highlighter dust, also mixed with skyy berry. I got the super gold luster dust from Lorraines in Hanover, MA (they have a website) and the gold highlighter from sugarcraft. HTH
Jamie

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:16pm
post #24 of 34

icon_eek.gif OMG! That's your first time modelling!!! WOWEEE! Those are fabulouos! You did an excellent job in all aspects. thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:25pm
post #25 of 34

Fantastic job, can't believe it's your first time with modeling!

irelandshs Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:30pm
post #26 of 34

Well I just finished cleaning up from doing the cakes. I took pics of the individual cakes since DH will be setting it up on site. I set up the Wilton Cakes 'N More Party Stand backwards, so the largest cake is on top, the smallest on the bottom, and will have them arranged on that. I wanted to thank you all again for all your help. I had a blast doing these cakes! Out of curiosity, what would you guys charge for something like this? I don't get paid for cakes, I do them for my husband when he asks because he lets me buy all the cake supplies I want, so its a trade off...but still I'm curious. They are double layer, all buttercream, and they are 6", 8", and 10" respectively. I will post the completed pics when I get them from DH.
Have a great weekend!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:26pm
post #27 of 34

Those are fabulous! I can't say enough about how great those figures are! I wish I could do that well! My BIL would love these. He would also love your tag line, very cute!

Well, according to the Wilton party servings, that would serve 60. I would say 50 servings, with all the molding work & everything, $100-120. BUT, I live in the boonies, where prices are low. If you are in a major area, probably at least $200-300.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #28 of 34

I have to agree...WOW!! So, did you paint with the gels, airbrush, lusterdusts, or alittle bit of all??=) Cause you did awesome! Jen

irelandshs Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 9:44pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

So, did you paint with the gels, airbrush, lusterdusts, or alittle bit of all?

I used luster, petal, highlighter, and pixie dusts on the figures and I airbrushed the cakes themselves. I also airbrushed the black on the cave and coated the cave and black cake in a mixture of super pearl dust and vodka with an airbrush to give it a mica look.

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:12pm
post #30 of 34

They are amazing. Look soooooo good. Well done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%