Storage Containers

Baking By cherrybombs Updated 11 May 2015 , 1:44am by craftybanana2

cherrybombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrybombs Posted 10 May 2015 , 7:56am
post #1 of 5

I just want to know people's ideas on ingredients storage. I bake quite a lot so buy my stuff wholesale in large amounts. What I'd really like is stackable front access but the largest I've found is 5ltr. But it's not big enough. I've seen some recycling bins but unsure of how safe they are with food. Any ideas?? UK 

4 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 10 May 2015 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 5

I've seen those at the hardware store, but I wouldn't reccomend them because their not labeled "food safe." Do you have a restaurant wholesale supplier near you? You could also maybe try a pet food container. I found this UK website has them (never ordered from them and I'm not in the UK). It might give you some ideas on what to look for though: http://www.ajstuart.co.uk/shop/category/0283/food-and-ingredient-bins

cherrybombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrybombs Posted 10 May 2015 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 5

Wow! The are so expensive. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 May 2015 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 5

We use the large pet food containers from Sam's Club.  They hold 100 pounds of flour or sugar, they have wheels and you can open one end of the lid or the entire lid.  They also have a 1-cup measuring cup which hooks on the inside of the lid - - really handy when you just need a little. They're wonderful! 

We have them lined up under shelves and just roll each one out and right back in as we need it.  They seal completely so they can sit on the floor and I printed very simple labels for the front to keep the Health Dept. happy.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 May 2015 , 1:44am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, they're not cheap because they're food safe. I checked over here and found that they start at about $100 (about $65 pounds). I got US prices from here: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2457/ingredient-bins.html. Like Jgifford said, look into pet food containers or try your local wholesaler store (if you have one). I only use 5-8cup (1-2 liter) containers since I only bake once in a while. We used the big trash can looking bins when I worked at a restaurant (it was for sauce). Check with a local bakery or restaurant, they may be able to help you out for a local source. :) Oh and wheels are very nice, lugging that big heavy thing out of the refrigerator was a big pain even when half full.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%