? For Those Of You Who Use Mmf..

Baking By 1234me Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 9:45pm by AngD

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:01am
post #1 of 12

I usually decorate my cookies with buttercream. Wanted to try MMF just for something different. I have read through pages and pages of threads here about MMF on cookies. I understand to put the MMF on the cookie while it is warm. Then decorate. Then what? Meaning, I need to leave the cookies at room temp to let the decor on top of the mmf harden. What will this do to the MMF having sat at room temp for 24 hours? Does it (the mmf) on the cookie get hard having sat out at room temp for 24 hours?

Any other helpful hints I should know about MMF and cookies? I use the NFSC recipe if it matters!

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:30am
post #2 of 12

The MMF will dry a bit on the surface, but it will still be fine to eat. If you add it while the cookie is warm, it will melt on and stick. However, I never manage to be ready. If you add it to cool cookies, you need to have a bit of moisture. I use clear corn syrup, thinned with some water to brush lightly on the back of the fondant cut out, then stick it to the cookie.

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:04am
post #3 of 12

I just brush the MMF with a little water and press down on the edges to make sure it sticks.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 12

I do the mmf on a hot cookie. I cut the mmf out first and then do the cookies. My mmf cutouts are ready to go the second the cookies come out. Be sure to cover your mmf cutouts so they don't dry out while waiting for the cookies to be cut and bake. I tried stacking the mmf cutouts with parchment and wax paper--never worked for me. SO it is single layers for me. I have ot make sure I have my counters cleared since my kitchen is small(which I did not surmise when we purchased this house!! I wasn't a baking fool back then lol).

After they cool, I usually let everything set up a day or so. I cover the single layer cookies/mmf with cheesecloth so they can breathe and set a bit. Then I use Anonia's royal to do the accents. outlines.

People have said my cookies have still been great to eat even after 2w. My mom would not eat her cookie tree nor let anyone eat it over Christmas--go figure. 2w later she HAD to have a cookie and started munching!!(And polished the tree off!).

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 12

How thick to do you roll the mmf for cookies? 1/4 inch or so?

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

I usually use rolled buttercream on my cookies, but I do like mmf also. I put the fondant on cooled cookies - just brush the cookie surface lightly with some karo syrup. The fondant sticks great. Mine always are firm enough to stack, but the surface never gets too hard - tastes great on cookies too!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 12

I also cut out all shapes like cakeatopia. Roll out your MMF very thin, 1/8" or less. Next cookie order I get, I'm investing in a pasta roller!

Anyway, I stack my mmf with plastic wrap, it's a lot easier that way. that is, unless your mmf is soft, then you might have to briefly put it in the fridge.

I put the mmf on the hot cookie, let it soften for a few minutes, then pat the edges to better fit the cookie. If you use the same cookie cutter to cut your mmf as you do your cookies, your cookie will probably end up about 1/4" wider all around than your mmf. You have to pat the mmf to fit. It's soft so it works well.

Let them cool on a rack, then decorate. I've left them out overnight before decorating, no problem. I store them either stacked with waxed paper in a plastic container, or in freezer bags in the freezer. They last quite a long time frozen. As for eating them when they are left out, many people eat them 1 week + later and say they are good (??). I personally think that NFSC starts to taste a little old after 6 days...but that's just me!

p.s. mmf will keep for a very, very long time. you don't refrigerate it. I just dumped some that I had wrapped on my counter for about 3 months, but not because it was bad, I just didn't know when I would be making cookies again and it was taking up space!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 12

I tried doing what caketopia said w/MMF. it worked great for me!! i just posted pics of it. (it's the sea theme cookies in my photos) It was easy to work with and fast. I too have little space in my counter, so i gotta do things fast and organized.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 12

does the mmf taste good on the cookies? I made some yesterday and I thought it tasted goo dbut wondered how customers liked it. My cutsomers LOVE my buttercream iced cookies and I think switching on them would cause me to lose some business!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 12

i like the taste, my family likes the taste too. I have never done for outside.
The good thing about mmf is that it can be flavored. My favorite is orange, but i have tried plain, strawberry, vanilla.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 12

I love the taste, DH loves the taste, the 2 orders I had loved the taste...my mom doesn't really like NFSC so she makes other cookies with glaze, no MMF...

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 12

MMf is great on cookies, my family loved it! I did them once check the pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%