Cake Dummies, Info

Decorating By TerriLea1993 Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 12:49am by SILVERCAT

TerriLea1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLea1993 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am wanting to try new ideas that I have, but I have not a clue what to do with the cakes once I am done. i want to start using cake dummies, but I haven't ever used them.. Can they be used over and over or once a cake is done, so are the dummies? When applying the fondant onto cake dummies do you put icing on first so it will stick? And has anyone ever mixed using some dummies and some cake? Help would be greatly appreciated..
icon_confused.gif

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 8

Standard cake dummies are made from a tight smooth material that can be cleaned and reused.

You could also create a cake shape using ordinary styrofoam pieces, but those are pourous and would have to be covered with contact paper, packing tape, or Press-n-seal wrap. then they could be reused.

To apply fondant, you just need a bit of moisture to help the fondant stick. My favorite method is to use a very, very thin coating of piping gel. The fondant adheres very well. Plain water also works fairly well.

There are larger cakes uses in combination with tiers that are dummies, when the bride wants a really big looking cake, but doesn't need to have that much food. It doesn't really save much money-they still have tobe decorated.

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:04am
post #3 of 8

where do you normally buy cake dummies at? I want to pratice as well as have some samples but never knew were to get the dummies from.

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:15am
post #4 of 8

I found the washable dummies at CandylandCrafts.com. They weren't too expensive and I've had good luck with this site for ordering before. I can't wait to get mine so I can practice too!! Real cake is too expensive (for the waistline) to practice a whole lot with...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 8

Dallas foam has them super cheap!!

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 8

I order my dummies from Dallas foam.Theyre really cheap and they give you very good customer service too.Most of my gallery pictures are of dummies,one cake a week is a disaster for my waistline icon_cry.gif I usually cover the dummy with saran wrap to avoid the mess.Just peel off and throw away.BC is my choice to cover the dummy and apply the fondant.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the info on dallas foam.
I just checked out their website, and their prices are
great!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:49am
post #8 of 8

I just placed an order from dallas foam this week too. Great service! The only down fall was I had to call to place my order bc when I entered my zip code it came up invalid! Not a big deal to call but when you have a 2.5 yr old that wont leave you alone when your on the phone it tends to get hard to hear what they are asking! Hoping to have my cake dummies by the end of the week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%