Wedding Cake Sheet Cakes

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 29 Sep 2005 , 2:42pm by traci

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 14

I am doing a wedding cake in March - my first one icon_eek.gif and she would like a smaller wedding cake and then enough sheet cake to feed a total of 150-175 people. What kind of decorations do you do on a sheet cake since it really isn't being displayed? I also quoted her $275 for enough cake to feed that many people which of course includes the wedding cake which I hae attached a picture below.
Thanks
LL

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 14

That's a beautiful cake!! You could decorate the slab in the colors of the wedding cake.You also can divide the slab cake in sections like some decoraters do with a long ruler and slightly indent the icing in both directions to make equal square slices.That way whoever cuts the cake will have a guide to cut.You could pipe a few purple flowers on each slice with a bit of green.Nothing fancy but still colorful...I'll try and find a picture to show what I mean!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 14

When I do sheet cakes for weddings the decorations are minimal. That's why buying sheet cakes costs less than wedding cakes... because of the decorating time. I just frost the cake and do a simple top and bottom border.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 14

Here is a slab cake with fruit on it I found on the web but the ideais the same!!

Hope this helps!!
LL

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 14

How about doing a rose spray in the same colors as the w/c.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 14

The sheet cake with the fruit is really pretty! I think you should just keep it simple. Anything with a touch of lavender will be pretty.
traci

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 14

I definitely think that the best way to go with the sheetcakes would be to do the cutting indents on it. That way you know the cakes will be cut correctly and there will be enough pieces. Also, you could put purple rosebuds and leaves in the center of each piece so they are not so plain when they are served.
One note I don't think anyone mentioned but isn't that price a little low? Just my opinion but the wedding cake itself looks pretty detail with all the flowers. It is very pretty. Just a thought for the future.
Good luck!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 14

I think the price is too low. That's less than $2 a slice for gumpaste flowers!

For the sheet cake, I would either do a rosebud on each slice or nothing at all. For that price, she's already getting a bargain.

Ali

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 14

Yes it seems a little low....thats thats what I charged for my 1st cake as well....but I dint kow better at the time....

It should definatley cover the materials but not the time! maybe she could chaulk this up to a learning expirience

sgirvan Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 4:45am
post #10 of 14

Hey everyone thanks for all the ideas. I think I will do the dividing the cake with indented line and have a lavendar rose with a leaf or two. I know that the price is a little low but there were 2 things. I have never made a wedding cake and have never used gumpaste before either so both are a learning experiance. This is also for someone who I used to work with. Alot of the time when I do cakes for friends or family and I know that I am giving them a deal. I leave a few business cards with the cakes and let the person know that if people ask about the cake the price is $xxxx amount and not to tell them the amount that they paid. I am still learning so much that I have a hard time charging what I know I should when I don't know what I am doing yet icon_rolleyes.gif
The cake isn't until March but I am sure there will be a practice cake after X-mas and I will post pics icon_biggrin.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 4:56am
post #11 of 14

I don't decorate kitchen cakes... I ice them and use a simple border. Also, my kitchen cakes are 4" high so it looks just like a piece of the wedding cake. I don't want the guests to be able to tell the difference between the kitchen cake and wedding cake. I'm just wierd that way. icon_confused.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 14

Me too Tami Az, torted and filled just like the wedding cake. I just don't think decorations are necessary on a sheet cake that will be cut in the kitchen. Most slices of wedding cakes guests get don't have decorations on them anyway.

sgirvan Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 4:52am
post #13 of 14

thanks, that info I didn't think of before, it sure will make things alot easier. If I make it the same flavors as the wedding cake filling and all then no one would know the difference thumbs_up.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 14

Good suggestion TamiAZ and peacockplace! Why do extra work if you don't have to! icon_smile.gif
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%