Need Help - Asap!!

Decorating By kakes_by_kim Updated 26 Sep 2005 , 10:30pm by justsweet

kakes_by_kim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakes_by_kim Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 4

I am warning you this will be a long post:

I have a few cakes (4 2 B exact!) I have to do by the end of Oct. One is a baby shower cake that I think I have figured out, but please give me your ideas also! It is for my cousin and I am not getting paid for it, but I offered and it is what I want to do for her. Her mother told me it is going to be Winnie the Pooh themed, so I went out and bought the stand up winnie the pooh and was going to subsitute the "honey pot" for a "baby block"! In order to feed the 50+ ppl her mother invited, I also bought square cake pans and I was going to have four of them put in a diamond shape, but spaced out and then have Pooh centered on top of them supported by dowel rods and also a block of either cardboard or wood directly under thecenter of Pooh! What do ya'll think?

One is for my b/f and I for Oct 27th, that is the date we will be together for 1 year! That is a no-brainer, I know what I will do, the 2 I really need help with are as follows:

Both of them are for one party with 2 themes. My oldest nephew will be 7 for his birthday on Halloween and wants Madagascar for his theme. My youngest nephew will be 2 for his birthday on Nov. 4 and my sister is doing the Wiggles for his theme. The party for both will be on Oct. 29th. I was thinking about doing a whimsical design for both of them, but with it being 2 themes and one party, I can't have 2 "BIG" cakes, because they won't get eaten. So my real big concern is : Is it possible and will it look ok if I did just 2 tiers on a whimsical cake? For the Wiggles cake I was just going to do the background in the four signature colors of the Wiggles and put hand drawn characters on the cakes (including all the characters). For the Madagascar cake I thought about doing the backgrounds in the colors of the animals ie: zebra stripe, giraffe etc. and hand drawing the animals on to the cakes as well.
If you have any suggestions or ideas at all, please email me at [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it! I just thought about something, I am not getting paid for any of these cakes! LOL!! I always do my nephews cakes at no charge as part of their birthdays oh and I can't do ONE cake, in case any of you suggest that, my sister thinks that one of the boys (namely the oldest) may feel cheated and think he didn't get his own cake! He also has a new baby sister who won't be 1 until Feb. 16th and he really feels left out sometimes! Anyway, I'm babbling...so thanks in advance to anyone who can help or give me any ideas or tips at all! Thanks,

Kim
[email protected]

3 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 4

First of all, welcome to Cake Central. You'll get lots of help here!

I just realized it's dinner time so I'll just deal with the baby shower cake first - I'll come back to you for the birthday cakes in a bit.

For the pooh cake, I wouldn't change the hunny pot to a block - that's going to be pretty difficult, I think. I'd just make pooh's shirt and all the other colors baby colors. That should be enough to get the point across. icon_smile.gif

If I understand you correctly about the square cakes, you will be sitting the pooh cake on top of a seam between the square cakes? I absolutely wouldn't do that. I would be very concerned that under all the weight of pooh they would shift. Depending on the size of your square pans, you may only want to make a square layer cake, just face pooh toward the corner rather than the sides. What size are your pans? How many do you have?

Ali

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 4

For your baby shower cake...I think Pooh needs to hold the Honey pot and wear a shirt with baby colors. I think I would put him on top of a 12" or 14" square cake only. You could also put him on top of a 12x18 sheet and make it look like a baby blanket. You idea with all those square cake sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...I would not take the chance of having a mishap!!!! icon_smile.gif

I love your idea of the whimisical cakes for Madagascar and Wiggles. thumbs_up.gif I think it would be fine to do a 2 tier. If you wanted to...on one of the cakes you could even do a 2 tier square...like a 10" and a 6". I would just have fun with them especially since you are not charging. I hope you will post some pics!
traci

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

sounds great, have you tought about dividing the whimiscal in half. One wiggles and Madagascar. It would be interesting if you can pull that off and save you time from doing two cake. Just a thought I have seen tier cakes done like this before. If I can find a picture I will post it for you. good luck.

Both baby shower ideas sound great. What ever you decide it will be great.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%