Is It Rude?

Decorating By ge978 Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 2:06pm by imartsy

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 28

I'm always looking through the cakes in the gallery and one of the questions that comes to mind is I wonder how much they charged for that cake? Is that a rude question? I just thought it would be neat if maybe whoever wanted to posted what they charged for their cake. I'm not sure how to go about it or if anyone would want to do it, but I thought it would help when everyone's trying to figure out how much to charge for their own cake. Has anyone else wondered about this?

27 replies
vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 28

GE978,
I agree with you so much. I stuck with that too, I have a cake to make and have no idea what to charge. It's gonna be my first paid cake and have to idea what to charge. Because I am new (really wet behind the ears) with cake decorating and not very good at it (YET) I am not sure. Having others tell us how much they charge would really help us newbie's.

Sylvie

MoonicaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonicaLeigh Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 28

I have sent PMs to people before and asked, but some people have put pictures up and dont visit that often, so it's kinda hit or miss with that icon_sad.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 28

I often wonder the same thing, especially when I see a cake that will knock you right out of your socks. lol

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 28

I don't have a problem telling anyone what I have charged. But I also think it is rude to "not" respond to someones PM. Even if it is to say that they don't want to give you that info.

All of the people here have been so Great!!! I can't imagine anyone here not wanting to help you out.

If you need any prices or help pricing, please email or PM me. Also, there is a pricing matrix that one of the mediators can email you. If you run a "search" on this site for one....you'll find the post and can ask for one.

I hope this helps.

ge978 Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 28

mrsfish94...When I read the beginning of your post I had thought maybe you had pm'd me and I didn't answer icon_redface.gif ..LOL..then I read further.

I wasn't really looking for anything specific like a matrix..I just look at some of these cakes sometimes and wonder what people charged for them. I always see posts about how much people should charge for their cakes and I thought it would be nice if there was a point of reference. I have prices listed on my brochure, but sometimes the kinds of cakes I'm asked to do aren't covered on it. I'm thinking its that way for some of you also. Just thinking out loud icon_smile.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 28

Well after failing with the price matrix, don't have excel.. I just sat up one night and burned my brain with all the math stuff. I was only pricing my 14" round and my 11X15 rectangle. Both torted and filled using either buttercream or whipped cream icing.. Filling would be the same as the top icing. I would do BCT's as long as they were not to detailed and I came up with this. It costs me $10 to make either cake.. Described as above.. So I've been told by alot.. You figure how much you have to spend on one cake x's 3.. so I charge any where from $30 - $40.. icon_biggrin.gif
Check out my pics I would love your comments! Thanks!

briansbaker Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 28

P.S. I just looked at everyones photo..
WONDERFUL CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 28

I think it's a great idea to put how much you charged for a cake in the description...I don't have a problem doing this! I think it will help everyone!

ge978 Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 28

Briansbaker: I love your cakes..they are very creative. When I have more time I'll go through and comment on some of them.

I guess I didn't explain what I meant very well in my initial post. I wasn't really looking for specific prices on cakes based on size,servings,etc. I appreciate the information anyway. I just meant I look at cakes sometimes and wonder what was charged for them. For example: when I was checking out briansbaker's pictures..my first thought was - that dress is gorgeous! My second thought was I wonder how much she charged for it? Then maybe if I were to do a similar cake I would have a point of reference. Hope this makes sense.

briansbaker Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 28

Well thank you sooooooo much.. And to be honest I have no idea what to charge for this cake.. I made it a couple of days ago. One for the contest and two it gave me the chance to make that "type" of cake..I love these contests.. They are so challenging.. LOL the only thing is.. My family is about had it with me and cakes!!! HA HA.. Think i really need to make dummy cakes...

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 28

I often wonder what a lot of the cakes in the galleries go for.. I think it also depends on where you live as to how much you can charge.. I know where I live there is alot of unemployment and layoffs happening and people just can't afford to pay high prices..I'm sure in the cities you have a larger customer base so it would make it easier .
I am in awe of some of the talented bakers on here. icon_smile.gif
Liz

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 28

The way we charge @ my shop is basic wedding cake..(white, yellow, chocolate lemon or strawberry) with just basic buttercream and shells is $2.25 per serving. If you add minimal amount of decoration it is 2.50 per. And if you want slightly elaborate deco it is 2.75 per serving and if you want really elaborate deco it is 3.00 per. That is also where we START our fondant and deluxe cakes ( ger choc. ..Italian Creme...Red velvet and about 20 more flavors pricing is @ 3.00 per. with JUST fondant covering. For lightly deco fondant it is 3.25 ( just basic few roses or ribbon or other uncomplicated deco. For a medium range of deco...(swags and roses etc it is 3.50 per. and for elaborate fondant designs 3.75 per serving and any flavor deluxe cake with elaborate and or fondant is 4.00 per serving. We do licensed character cakes free ( wink wink) with a $40.00 pkg fee! LOL. Our sculpted cakes are just determined individually, depending on the time and skill needed. I hope this helps.

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 28

Oh my goodness Kayday. My head is spinning. I think I am more confused now.icon_wink.gif I think ge978 is right, is it aginst the rules if when we post a picture and you tell how it was made ect. at the end put the price you charged for it? If you made it for free for what ever reason, put what you would have charged for it.

ge978 Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 28

I've been looking at everyone's pictures..there are alot of talented people here. Now, the only question is how much did you guys charge for those?icon_lol.gif

alracntna Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 28

My cakes still need a lot of work. I have not charged for any except for the burger and the icecream sunday. I charged $20 for each of them. The others were for family birthdays ect. and I think right now I am not good enough to charge.

ge978 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 12:01am
post #17 of 28

I guess I didn't think of it being against the rules...I just didn't want to offend people by asking.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 4:52am
post #18 of 28

I have always been a sucker and make deals so most of my cakes have been either free... or $25.00 .......but this last weekend.....I thought i ws gonna make 25 for my pooh cake ( for cousin) and 20 for Darth (bestfriend of 15 years) . After dropping off the 1st cake my aunt told me it was worth more and gae me 50.00 and the firend said the same and gave me 35.00. Thats funny because after someother post and much thinking I decided that these were the last cakes I was gonna go soft on.....I put my foot down.... And this reafirmed it.
So when you look at my cakes ( the ones ive made so far know they were almost free to the person who recieved them)

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 5:17am
post #19 of 28

Shhhhh shhh.gifshhh.gif Most of us do cakes for donations??? (hint,hint). Be careful.. there are some hateful people out in this world!! It's sad but true. If your courious about a cake PM that person privately. That way noone gets in trouble. Happy Baking~

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 12:52pm
post #20 of 28

Turtle I think that's a good idea about PM'ing someone for the price but my fear is that they would get offended. I know people here are great, understanding and much more but the fear of insulting someone is always there.

I am starting to think that not everyone has a standard to pricing and from what I can see it all goes by what we feel our cake are really worth.

I am the worst at charging, I made a few cakes and they were all for free. The only deal was they paid for part of the ingredients.

icon_smile.gif So we are not further ahead cause we still don't have pricing. lol

Sylvie

ge978 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 1:20pm
post #21 of 28

The first thing I have to say after looking at all of your cakes is STOP GIVING THEM AWAY!!!! You guys are way too talented to be doing these cakes for free. I know legally you can't say you charge for them, but those of you who are not charging because you don't think you are good enough: YOU ARE!! Think about it this way - If someone needs a cake the first thought is just to buy it at the grocery store . But their second thought is to get one from one of us. They don't come to us because we are cheaper...they come to us for quality. For quality, you pay higher prices. You wouldn't buy Prada and expect to pay Kmart prices would you?Sorry for the long post, but I wish I had half the talent as some of you and people pay money for my cakes...why not yours?

alracntna Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:37pm
post #22 of 28

ge978, you have all the talent that most have here on CC. I think we are all critical of our own cakes. As long as the people they are made for are happy that is all that matters. I made the tweety cake for my SIL and when I handed it to her she started crying. It made me feel so good because she thought we forgot her birthday. Then I did the Jasmine for my little sister and my mom, who is very critical and doesn't really like cake called me and said she loved the taste and the work I put into the picture. So I am on a high for a while. I am doing a unicorn FBT this weekend for my other little sister and then I wanted to do a two tier wedding cake for my and my DH's 8th wedding anniversary.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:45pm
post #23 of 28

alracntna, I hope you have a great anneversary!! thumbs_up.gif

I'm sure your hubby will feel loved with the special cake your making to celabrate ! icon_wink.gif

alracntna Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:47pm
post #24 of 28

Thank you, 8 years I know is not a long time but it feels very very long...lol just playing my DH is sitting right here. icon_wink.gif

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:51pm
post #25 of 28

Im glad he read it too ! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ENJOY!

ge978 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:10pm
post #26 of 28

alracntna: I was just going through your photos yesterday with my sister...Raggedy Ann is our favorite! Happy Anniversary & thank you for your compliment.

When I was going through some of the posts and galleries I just couldn't believe the cakes that people were giving away or undercharging for. I was just thinking maybe some of you could try to partner up with a wedding hall or reception site. You could do the cake on their premesis so the license wouldn't be an issue. After seeing your portfolios I'm sure someone would definitely be interested.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:20pm
post #27 of 28

I can't answer my PM's ..I don't know how..lol...but, I will say this....

If you are curious about how much...you also have to take that person's experience into consideration.

I will give you my prices..I hope that's not breaking any rules..( and no matter where you live and the cost of living...cake is a one time event in some people's lives and they just may pay what you ask!)

This is a starting price list is just for buttercream cakes with simple decorations, depending on flavors and fillings...

mini sheet cake 7x11........15 to 20 bucks
1/4 sheet 9x13..................22.50-25.00
1/2 sheet...........................30.50 to 35.00
3/4 sheet............................40.00 to 50.00
Full sheet............................75.00 to 100.00

8" round...............................20.00 to 25.00
10' round..............................25.00 to 35.00
12 " round............................40.00 to 50.00

* Delivery charges will apply and prices are subject to change.

Bows can be make out of chocoate, fondant or royal and they start at 15.00 to 25.00 per, depending on the material

Buttercream flowers are included in price..but Gumpaste or pulled sugar flowers start at 15.00 per( the flowers are usually finished with fillers, leaves, ribbons and or tulle.

Theme cakes are to be estimated upon initial consultation with client. ( those are the ones with marzipan or fondant people, creatures or animals)

Pastillage, fondant or chocolate stencils can be purchased for top of the cake starting at 5.00 for a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I charge for every thing I use, including the thick English boards!

You also have to remember that I've been making cakes since 1978!..., so...I think....my prices are TOO LOW!....LOL

I hope this helps someone!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:06pm
post #28 of 28

Ooh you know what would be kinda cool? Is if each cake had it's own "profile" - so when you load it into the gallery there would be like little boxes that you could put information in such as:
1) Flavors
2) Fillings
3) Frostings
4) Cake sizes/ pans used
5) Price you would ask - that way if people aren't doing them "legally" they could just put hte price they would ask if they were doing it legally icon_smile.gif kinda a loophole? icon_smile.gif

That would be sooo cool in my opinion. Just helps us all to give the info everyone usually wants to know too. And I think it's interesting to see what combinations people have made flavor-wise w/ cake, filling, and frosting. Plus so many people ask about what size pans did you use or what pan did you use...... well alright they aren't asking me but I've seen the question asked a lot icon_smile.gif I think that would be really really cool. icon_smile.gif anyone else think it's a good idea? Or just a bunch of hassel? People wouldn't HAVE to put that information in if they didn't want to - it would sort of be a guide to help people know what to write about the cakes instead of people just writing "this is a birthday cake" w/ no other details.... I like details! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%