Pricing A 3-D Fire Truck?

Decorating By fytar Updated 12 Oct 2005 , 10:01pm by traci

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 16

Even for the most simple fire truck using candy, pretzels and cookies to decorate with, what would most of you charge? I am trying to come up with an idea of what I should charge because I've never carved a cake before. kinda like what is here on this website:

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/special/cake/cake_fireengine/

Just in case, if I want to go a little bit more into detail, can you add a frozen BCT to the side of a cake. For instance, if I want to add the faces of the driver in the windshield, would that stay on the cake or slide right off after it comes to room temperature?

15 replies
Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 16

That is adorable...I would not have an idea on price. I guess it would depend on your time involved, level of difficulty and of course, the area you live in.

Good luck!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 16

I think I would charge at least $30.00. It is not too big of a cake but still will take time to put together. I think I would do something different than a BCT for the side. I would not take a chance of it sliding off. You might be able to print something on the side ir make a candy star or something. I hope that helps.
traci

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 16

I would say around $30. Sorry, I don't know about the buttercream transfer.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 16

No reason you couldn't use a FBCT. Either that or fondant cutouts would work great! Depending on the size of the cake - I would start at $30-35 just because it's a 3-D cake. If you add a lot of detail it would go up from there.

Can't wait to see the finished product!
Debbie

fytar Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks everyone! I really needed a base price idea to start with. The girl probably won't want the cake when I tell her $30-$40, but that is kinda what I'm banking on...don't know her really well, but she is very young and opinionated and usually not in a nice way. That's beside the point though, if she wants it and is willing to pay for it, I'll get the money up front if I have to! She will not get the friendly neighbor discount from me!! I'm sorry, guys, I'm being ugly.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 16

I wouldn't under estimate the time that goes into one of those 3D Cakes!! I did the 3D Firetruck last May using a kit I bought from Ebay...Thanks Elaine icon_smile.gif And by the time I built the boards,baked cakes,made special royal icing decorations and assembled etc..I figure I put about 8-10 hours into.The cake was spectacular but I wouldn't do that same cake again for customer for less that $100.00....Even if that cake looks small in the picture...I would do it for less than $50.00 Just my Opinion!! icon_smile.gif

fytar Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 16

Kiddiekakes, thanks for the advice. By the way, I love your cakes! I think I'll give her a quote of $45 and see what she says. I won't do much detail. If she wants the ladder drawn on top, I'll keep it at the price quoted, but if she wants a ladder like what you have on top, I'll charge her another $5. That can be made out of royal icing right? Or should it be color flow?

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 16

I agree with kiddiecakes, don't sell yourself short. Just think of how much time you would put into a 2-dimensional sheet cake, now you're talking about carving a cake, making pieces for it. I think $45.00-50.00 is completely appropriate.

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for the kind words Fytar....Yes it was a template that came with the kit.I made it out of Royal icing and then painted it with silver lustre dust and vodka.

fytar Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Thanks for the kind words Fytar....Yes it was a template that came with the kit.I made it out of Royal icing and then painted it with silver lustre dust and vodka.

hmmm, vodka, you say!! bet the kids loved that~a new experience for them!! ha, ha, ha...

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 16

HA!HA! You are funny!!! Actually the vodka eveporates ! I did do some pieces with lemon oil but they tasted horrible!!! icon_eek.gif

traci Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 16

Kiddiecakes...your fire truck looks great!!!! I can see why you would charge 100.00 next time!!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 5:00am
post #14 of 16

wow........I think i wouldnt do it for less than $45.00

Elaborate design maybe 75.00

good luck

fytar Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 16

Okay, everyone, I got out of this one! The girl called me two weekends ago and said she would be stopping in on Monday or Tuesday to see what I had come up with and the price. She never showed up nor did she call...until lastnight! I told her I was home both nights she said she would be by and she didn't show up. So, since then I have booked a retirement cake and wedding cake for this week, and next week I have a groom's cake (scheduled for the same day she needs the cake) and my mom's birthday. I told her that she would have to find someone else. She is going to take the pics I printed off for her to other cake decorators to see if they would do a sculpted firetruck and what they charge. She is only willing to pay $50. I gave her the pics and sent her on her way.

traci Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 16

I think you got totally lucky not having to do this one!!! By the way...I can not imagine that she will find someone to do this cake for 50.00!!!
traci icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%