Question Re Sheet Cakes

Decorating By suzyqqq27 Updated 25 Apr 2006 , 11:00pm by bodaisy

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 25

What are the official sizes for full sheet, 1/2 sheet and 1/4 sheet? Can one get a full sheet pan into a regular, home use oven? I'm not sure what I call a 1/4 sheet (9x13) is actually a 1/4 sheet.

Also, how many servings do each yield...in YOUR opinion. Sometimes I don't agree with the Wilton serving charts.

Please let me know,
Suzanne M.

24 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 25

That's the size that I use for 1/4 sheet (9x13). A full sheet won't fit in my oven, but 2 halfs will. I'm not sure of the dimensions 11x??? (1/2 sheet)

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 25

Wilton has 9x13, 11x15, and 12x18 for rectangle cake pans.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 25

This is another of those "debatable" questions. I base everything on my 9*13 pans. (1) 9*13 is a 1/4 sheet. (2) 9*13's is a half. (4) 9*13's is a full. All of this fits great on the boards and in the boxes.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 25

what boards and what boxes? i have boards and boxes for the quarter and half sheet, but where in the world can you get full-size boards (that can support the cake), and boxes? i'm having trouble finding these items!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 25

www.papermart had them and will ship to APO/FPO addresses!!! Woo-Hoo!!

My cake store sells them.

Sometimes I double up the boards. But they are very sturdy and very thick on their own.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 25

cali4dawn, thank-you sooo much!!! i have been going crazy trying to find these boards and boxes! icon_lol.gif

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 25

Thank You Cali4dawn, I'm in England and have been looking for sites other than wilton to ship to APO!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 25

well thank you ... I had asked that question the other day, but of course in the wrong forum and recieved no response. Thank you, thank you, thank you! icon_wink.gif I have the 11x 3 rectangle pan.. That is what I normally use for Birthdays and such.. Oh Cali4dawn, I am doing my first BIG cake in April.. icon_biggrin.gif For my nieces Sweet Sixteen. Very excited and I know if I take my time I can to an awesome job.. Take Care!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

www.papermart had them and will ship to APO/FPO addresses!!! Woo-Hoo

Papermart is great BUT please do not be tempted to buy the pink bakery boxes!! thumbsdown.gif They are very flimsy and tend to suck the moisture right out of your cake! Ask me how I know???!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 25

I use them all the time for up to 10*10 cakes. I've never once had them suck the moisture out of a cake. What's up?

BTW, the cake may sit in a pink box up to 3-4 days before delivery.

I'm very curious to hear your story.

MrsMissey Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 25

Did you notice the difference in weight? Did you notice that the outside is not coated like the regular white ones? I am still finding ways to get rid of the pink boxes. I still use the smaller ones for my pies but won't dare use the bigger ones for my cakes! My story...it dried out my cake!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 11:55pm
post #13 of 25

Oh- you said stated, " Ask me how I know???!!!" - I thought maybe there was a story since your experience was so different from mine. and you stated to ask- I was simply asking.

You also stated:

"Did you notice the difference in weight? Did you notice that the outside is not coated like the regular white ones?"

Yes, on both counts... but they still don't dry out my cakes. The inside (which is nearest the cake) is not coated on either box- so I'm still lost. You didn't really answer my question. You just gave me more questions.

I'm really not trying to be difficult here- but I'm still lost.

MrsMissey Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:02am
post #14 of 25

IMO... the coating on the outside of the white boxes help keep the moisture inside the box, opposed to the pink boxes not having that coating! I left a cake in a pink box overnight on my counter and in the morning the box felt damp. At first I thought it was my imagination but I sat an empty box on my counter the next night to see what happened..that box was fine! Did this a few times..same results everytime!

Hey...maybe it''s an East Coast...West Coast thing...ya know...like the powdered sugar issue! icon_biggrin.gif

MrsMissey Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:05am
post #15 of 25

The "Ask me how I know" part...that was more of a rhetorical question!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:25am
post #16 of 25

I've only recently moved to the west coast. I lived in NC (humidity capital of the world- I'm convinced of this haha) so I'm not sure that is it. Did you leave it sitting out on a high humidity evening with no a/c? I've just never had this happen and I use those pink boxes all the time. It's got to be something at your house or we would all have this experience. I just don't want people to waste money on higher priced boxes when it may or may not be an across-the-board issue. I didn't have this happen while I was visiting NC for a month last year and used the pink boxes. I have cakes and cupcakes (which are even more vulnerable) in those pink boxes for quite awhile.

MrsMissey Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:42am
post #17 of 25

I did my test a few times..can't recall the temp or if the A/c was on or not...it was over a year ago!! As far as price...they cost the same. A pack of 100 10x10x5 is $36.75 for the pink, as is the white!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 1:33am
post #18 of 25

I almost always go cheap with this type of supply- so the price must have changed to being equal since I've ordered any. I order so many at a time I don't order often.

I prefer the look of the white ones, so I would have ordered those is they were cheaper then. Good to know they are now- I definitely like those better.

I'll have to place an order. And I live fairly close to them- no shipping charges!! Woo-Hoo!!

suzyqqq27 Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 7:14am
post #19 of 25

You put 4 9x13 cakes together? My goodness...that's a big cake. Do you put them all side by side or two together and two together below those two...kind of square like. How do you attach them so that they stay together? Do you cover the sides in icing and then stick them together? I'm not trying to be difficult...just to understand.

How many servings do you suggest for each 9x13?

Thanks again....sorry for all the questions,
Suzanne M.

suzyqqq27 Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 7:39am
post #20 of 25

Man this site is invaluable. I just went to papermart and I can get boxes for pennies on the dollar for what I was spending. I was paying over $2 CAD for each box at the Bulk Barn!!! icon_redface.gif I had no idea. I should have known I could get them in bulk but just never thought about it.

They even ship to Canada...I put in a sample order for 100 boxes and 100 boards and the shipping was $9. That's astonishing compared to what I usually pay in shipping.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,
Suzanne M.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 8:13am
post #21 of 25

And they are very nice. They made a mistake (only once) to an order... no attitude, fixed it immediately. Great customer service!!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 8:50am
post #22 of 25

I would love to be able to fit something more then a 9x13 in my oven here in Germany! I am lucky if 9x13s will. I have been fortunate and the oven in this kitchen barely fit 9x13, but at least it does.
Think about the fun I had around holidays!
Man I cant wait to get back to the states!!!!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 7:11pm
post #23 of 25

I totally understand. While Joan and I were leaving one house and closing on another (never a smooth ordeal) and then closing was held up for 2 months.... (ugh!) we lived in our RV for what seemed like a very long time. I seemed to have so many orders then. So I was baking cakes in an RV oven and washing all the mess in an RV sink. Good times!!! i made a full size sheet cake during that period. baked (4) 9*13's - 1 at a time, stuck them together and decorated it on my RV table.

It can be done. When people tell me they don;t have enough room, I just laugh.

I had my H/D mixer out during this time and all my stuff. You just learn to accommodate the situation if you want to do it badly enough.

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 10:47pm
post #24 of 25

Ok, but how many servings for each of these sizes do you guys think you get out of them, you oppinion. Im curious about that too.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:00pm
post #25 of 25

if you go to something like confectioneryhouse.com (not to buy anything) but look up the sized pan you have, it'll give you the cups per pan and how many servings. I have magic line pans one is 8x11 that's what I use for 1/4 sheet and then I have the 11x18x3inch and that's my 1/2sheet cake. I think the quarter sheet will feed 35 people and the 1/2 sheet will feed 72

hope this helps
b

but it is really a preference thing

I forgot to mention that they are professional pans and not the regular pans w/rounded edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%