Silver Dots

Decorating By ewashburn Updated 29 Apr 2015 , 5:59pm by ewashburn

ewashburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ewashburn Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make silver dots on a wedding cake. Does anyone know how to do it? 

Not silver balls.  I can't find any silver coloring.

Please help,

Eunice 

4 replies
TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 5

I am assuming you will need to cut the dots from fondant and paint them silver?  I just roll my fondant thin then use a circle cutter the size I am needing.  I then mix a silver dust with grain alcohol or lemon oil and paint the circles.  Be sure to use a safe dust.  Here are a few that I use:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/ingredients-icing-colors-flavors/fda-approved-dusting-powders/46/752/2082/?sort=0&y=Color&x0=10

Not sure how big your dots need to be but if they are smaller, you can use anything from a drinking straw to a bubble straw.  Another option if you would prefer to have cutters, would be this mini accent set.  It has many shapes but I have found them to be very useful for accents.

http://autumncarpenter.com/product/mini-accent-cutter-set/81/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 5

Well, to make silver dots you have to have silver dust, from which you make an edible silver paint.  There is silver edible paint already mixed up, but I don't find it to be very good.

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

I've done this in the past by piping royal icing dots on the cake, and then painting them with the silver/vodka mixture afterwards. I believe they also make edible glitter dust (limited colors) that you can use to highlight even more.

ewashburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ewashburn Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.

Eunice 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%