Advice

Decorating By hellosweetness Updated 28 Apr 2015 , 12:53am by hellosweetness

hellosweetness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellosweetness Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I have been asked to make a cake similar to the picture below. 

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to tackle the gold strips? Do you think it would be best to stick on the fondant strips first then paint them gold? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

6 replies
hellosweetness Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 7
hellosweetness Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 7

Never mind, the image won't post

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 7

the picture can be put in your gallery and linked to if it won't cooperate to show in your post -- if you click on gallery up there on the purple banner and then "on add a photo" --

ok well wait a minute -- you can't do that -- they must be tinkering with it -- you can post a link to your cake photo if the banner is not appearing right now -- they are re-manufacturing the be site improving it constantly so the gallery is currently under construction -- but post a link if you have one

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Hellosweetness, without even seeing the picture, I can tell you that I personally paint fondant items in gold before I put them on a cake. I first airbrush in gold sheen and then use a gold highlighter to dust (dry) on top of the the already airbrushed piece using a soft brush. If I tried to do that when the strips would already be on the cake then I would either overspray or get gold dust all over the rest of the cake. 

Hope that helps?

Frank

hellosweetness Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 12:46am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help! :)

hellosweetness Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 12:53am
post #7 of 7

Frank68...Your right, I think painting the strips gold, prior to placing on the cake, would cause less mess. Its like an Art Deco sort of looking cake...Great Gatsby theme as mentioned before. Black with a lot of detail (gold strips).

Thanks again for your help. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%