Help With My Kitchen

Business By tessholly1 Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 1:58pm by -K8memphis

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone :)

I have a small business that I run from home, soon I will be moving home and will be having a new cake room completely re-designed and fitted etc. So I wondered if anyone had tips on what I should/shouldnt include, what's worked out well for you, but mainly what type of work surface is best for rolling out fondant.. I find at the moment that my white fondant attracts little fuzzy bits and teeny tiny hairs even though I thouroughly wipe and clean my surfaces.. Is there a specific type of surface I can have fitted that's easy to clean and KEEP clean?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 10:30am
post #2 of 3

There really isn't anything that you can get that will prevent surfaces from attracting fibers if there are fibers in the air. The problem with working in a home environment is that you're dealing with carpets, fibers from clothing, etc.  In a professional kitchen there's a reason that everything is tiled and stainless steel and nobody wears fuzzy sweaters to work. My advice would be that if you're going to have a room for just cakes, make sure it's free from carpets, towels that have a nap to them, anything that can shed those little fibers. It's less a matter of the surface that you're working on and more about what kind of other things are in the house that can migrate to your work area, so if you can minimize all of that you should have better luck.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 3

i keep my a lot of my equipment wrapped in plastic wrap -- even rolls of paper to cover boards with and especially fondant mats and all the little molds -- or store things upside down -- i keep one rolling pin in it's original box the others can be wiped down before using pretty easily but the decorative ones are all wrapped -- my cutting boards are stored on their sides so nothing can accumulate on the cutting surface --

watch how the dust swirls up when sweeping -- with oil or water dampen the broom before sweeping so the little bits can't become air born and settle -- not that you do this but i just cringe when i see people swinging a mop around slapping that 'water' everywhere -- yoiks --

but just a couple ideas i thought of -- i took my fondant mat to work once and rolled out some fondant and it had dust mites and wooly buggers on it like you described and i was mortified so after i tossed the fondant and washed everything i started with all the plastic wrap wraps -- (i hadn't used the mat in months)

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%