Question About Serving A Mousse Cake

Baking By AgBaker Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 3:05pm by -K8memphis

AgBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgBaker Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 5

So I have never made a mousse cake before and was wondering if a cake filled with mousse can be served at room temp or does it have to be cold?

I am planning on making a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and the frosting will be buttercream.  Will the mousse ooze out of the cake once it returns to room temp?  will making a buttercream dam help? 

TIA!!!

4 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 12:52am
post #2 of 5

A buttercream dam can help keep it inside the cake, but take into account that regular chocolate mousse shouldn't be outside of the refrigerator for too long, it isn't shelf stable...

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:17am
post #3 of 5

Well, you should have about a two hour window after it comes out of the fridge. I'm just going by the many times I've taken the serve safe classes. 

AgBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgBaker Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your responses. I should have specified that the cake is just for me and my husband (fr our anniversary) and i do not intend to sell it. I understand it from sanitation point of view but i was just concerned about the structure of the cake. If the filling would ooze out or not making it look not so appealing. We prefer to eat our cakes at room temp :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 5

you can leave it sit out a bit before cutting then just let the sliced servings sit out for a few before eating -- or microwave for 5 seconds -- i microwave my ice cream i like it soft -- but you run the risk of it being too soft to serve best if it cools off all the way -- it squoshes less when it's cold

happy anniversary best wishes to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%