A Bottle Cake

Decorating By cake-o-holic Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 4:40am by tigercane2006

cake-o-holic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-o-holic Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 12

Hey Guys,

So I've got a request to make a cake bottle.  Need some ideas on how to tackle this.

I've been reading online..some say carve..others say bake 6 inch cakes and carve.  Any other ideas?

11 replies
BabyGotCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGotCakes Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 12

Can you do it so the 'bottle' is lying down?

cake-o-holic Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 12

Quote by @BabyGotCakes on 6 minutes ago

Can you do it so the 'bottle' is lying down?

Yeah i was thinking of that..but i was hoping to challenge myself and make a standing up one.

BabyGotCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGotCakes Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 12

Yeah, I often think the same way...want the challenge and it will be super cool!!  But, another way of looking at it, is that lying down, it will still be a cool cake minus the stress! lol

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 12

Why don't you make a bottle as topper? I made a champagne bottle cake for a wedding anniversary where the bucket/ cooler was the actual cake and inside the cooler was a champagne bottle (top half) made out of gum paste with personalized logo etc and around the bottle, in the cooler, were ice cubes which I made out of a sort of champagne jelly that I let set in ice cube molds.

cakebreezy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebreezy Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 12

I would bake 4 inch rounds and carve down, make the neck out of modeling chocolate or rice cereal, and ice it in ganache or somehting that will fill into the cracks and be easy to shave and manipulate to get a perfect bottle shape. 

I have to do a champagne bottle as well, for may 2nd but mine is 2D

best wishes

Sierra

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 12

Go on line, there are a lot of tutorials about it.

cake-o-holic Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for the replies! :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 12

build a stand for it with a center dowel stuck down securely permanently in the bottom of the board and thread the cakes & dowel down -- supporting them with boards and dowel just like any other cake -- bam

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 12

and modeling chocolate aka candy clay is much more user friendly than fondant -- or use a combo of the two

cake-o-holic Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 12

nice..thanks K8memphis!

tigercane2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigercane2006 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:40am
post #12 of 12

I've done quite a few bottles lying down. But not flat. If that makes sense. I do 4-5 6" rounds, one part in the ball shaped pan and 4-5 cupcakes. I stack the rounds and put the ball shape on top then I cut some off all the way down the side so it'll lay flat on it's side without rolling. After I cut some off, Then I lay it down on it's more flat side and use the cupcakes for the neck of the bottle. Frost and cover with fondant. I've done wine, champagne, and vodka bottles like this. All well received. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%