Wedding Cake Topper

Decorating By Gerle Updated 21 Apr 2015 , 4:53pm by Gerle

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 1:48am
post #1 of 3

I will be making my son's wedding cake for June.  It will be my first wedding cake.  He and his fiance have decided to do cupcakes for the guests, but will serve a cake for the wedding party.   Based on info that we've been discussing, I assumed the size of the cake was going to be a 10" bottom and 8" top with no decision having been made regarding the topper, but his future mother-in-law just showed me a picture of what they are thinking of using for the cake topper.  It is going to be a rustic wedding.  The topper is a heart shape made with burlap and I don't know what the other material is, looks like plastic.  I don't know how to attach a pic or I would.  She indicated that the size is 6"x6".  I've asked what the weight of the piece is but don't have that info yet.  Would this 6x6 be too heavy of a topper?    I have asked her if she knows the weight because I have a feeling that's the info I need to make a knowledgable decision.  Since I haven't made a wedding cake before, however, I am looking to some of you more knowledgable bakers for some valuable input.  I'm just afraid that being 6 high and 6 wide, it may be a bit big for the cake.  I really don't want to make a 10 and 12 along with cupcakes.  I think that's an overkill.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 2:07am
post #2 of 3

There are ways to support even a heavy topper.  Just like you would support a tier on top of another :)  What is important is having  a solid base.  If it is open, then find a plastic lid that is the same size to put it on.    I rather doubt it is going to be really heavy if most of the design is burlap.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, kakeladi.  I was told it's plastic and burlap....just don't know how much of each it is.  Was also told they don't think it's very heavy, just kind of large, and it does have a plastic or resin base that it sits on.  I don't have a very good picture of it and can't get it to duplicate to post here.  Oh well, will have to hope for the best.  Thanks again for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%