Bought Sugar Flowers With No Wires, How Do You Attach Them?

Decorating By wendydev Updated 18 Apr 2015 , 4:40pm by costumeczar

wendydev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydev Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I'm new here, but I would love some advice. I have a five tier wedding cake, I bought a lot of big gardenias and small ones. None of them have wires to attach them. I'm a bit nervous about applying them in the cascade without some advice...anyone ever have to use those?

Thanks,

Wendy D

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 6

you could apply them on site with buttercream or piping gel -- put the big ones on ledges climbing up the side and hanging over the edge and stack some smaller ones onto those going up the sides -- if there's a hole for a toothpick or anything like that you can affix it with some melted chocolate or piping gel -- and attach them with that and some buttercream and piping gel --

i piped buttercream roses for cascades and set them onto popsicle sticks that were cut in half and placed side by side inserted into the cake to make a little ledge to set the piped rose onto -- covered any stick that showed with buds and leaves -- 

wendydev Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, I will look to see if there is any holes for toothpicks! Great idea! Hope there are!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 6

I *always* used purchased - in fact ALL - flowers w/o wires.  As k8 said, use the biggest ones on the bottom and edges then add the smaller ones.  If you pipe an open circle of b'cream around the bottom of the flower before sticking it on it will stay better.  I usually did that w/a tip 3 but it depends on the size of the flower and your hand/piping strength.

I do not like using toothpicks - too much of a possibility of someone not noticing it and getting it stuck in the mouth/throat :(   

wendydev Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 6

I am putting them on fondant cake. I was thinking of using royal icing...the way he wants it decorated is the big flowers are all over in a cascade, so I can't have the big ones just on the bottom. The wedding is tomorrow, so lets see what happens!!

Thank you all!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 6

Melted white chocolate is like cement when it attaches to fondant, I'd use that for as many of the flowers as I could.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%