Rustic Wedding Cake

Decorating By cdale13 Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 3:51pm by cdale13

cdale13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdale13 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:44am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I have been commissioned to do a "rustic wedding cake", but have not done a design like this before. Can anyone help me out with tips, link to a YouTube video tutorial, or website with a tutorial? I'm thinking it's just a matter of covering the cake in a generous amount of buttercream and then taking my spatula and spinning the cake as I hold the spatula against it? Here is a link to the picture my client sent me: http://tumblr.weddinginspirasi.com/post/29567127569/via-wedding-inspirasi-weddingi-on-pinterest#.VS4UZJMd6Sp

Thanks so much in advance!

5 replies
Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:53am
post #2 of 6

Never done anything like this myself but I'm pretty sure I've read something somewhere that that is the technique as you described spinning the cake

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 6

You could do something similar with a knife but this one looks like they used a rose tip to me. Crumb coat the cake (very thin layer of buttercream). Start with the rose tip at the bottom of the cake (small edge of tip pointed down) spin the cake and overlap slightly as you go up. 

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

Very simple technique.... a rustic design similar to this was by far, one of the easiest cakes that I have done.  Put a thick layer of frosting on, smooth it, and then take the  small angled spatula to make your pattern by putting it on a turntable and spinning away.  :-)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 6

Here...That effect starts at about 4:20.

cdale13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdale13 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm happy  you said it was easy @oftheicing... I am nervous as I've really only done fondant or smooth buttercream, but always up for something different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%