Height Of Cake/cake Layers

Baking By AgBaker Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 1:22am by AgBaker

AgBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgBaker Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

All the cake pictures that I see online look very tall (around 5-6 inches). Mine do not look as tall. I think my 3 layer cake is around 4 inches tall.  Hence I have a few questions about the height of the cakes:

What size (height) cake pans are advisable to use-2 inches or 3 inches? Does it matter which one to use?

After torting what is the height of your individual cake layer?

What is your approximate total height for a 3 layer cake with fillings? 

Thank you all!!

9 replies
Scooper2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scooper2 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 10

After torting my cakes are 4 inches high... with just a 2 inch pan...

AgBaker Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you Scooper2.  Do you tort your cakes in 2 layers or 3?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 10

The standard cake height is 4", but the trend now is to make tiers taller for appearance. I use two inch pans and torte the layers, so once everything is filled and levelled my tiers are usually about 4 1/2" tall. I'll tell you something, too, the caterers hate taller cakes because they don't fit on the dessert plates as well as the 4" tiers, and  they're a pain to cut. I've seen a caterer saw a tall tier in half and serve runty pieces because he wasn't going to try to balance a tall piece of cake on a cake knife to transfer it to the plates.

Scooper2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scooper2 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 10

I torte mine in 2 layers only.....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:56am
post #6 of 10

My tiers are 4" tall, 2 layers torted into 4.

I also hate the taller tiers.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 10

I agree I started out doing 4" tiers..and then tried out a few 5"-5.5" high cakes; and the response was really good. People really loved the look and even had a few comment's along the lines of "I'm going with you because I like how tall your cakes are".  So its kind of stuck. Taller cakes are defonately more awkward, but I figure if it brings in money and I book a few more wedding cakes because of the little differences between my work and the next cakery then its worth it....though I will say if you do taller tier's you need to charge a bit more than a standard 4" one; so that can put some people off too. 

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 10

I agree I started out doing 4" tiers..and then tried out a few 5"-5.5" high cakes; and the response was really good. People really loved the look and even had a few comment's along the lines of "I'm going with you because I like how tall your cakes are".  So its kind of stuck. Taller cakes are defonately more awkward, but I figure if it brings in money and I book a few more wedding cakes because of the little differences between my work and the next cakery then its worth it....though I will say if you do taller tier's you need to charge a bit more than a standard 4" one; so that can put some people off too. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 10

Like Leah_s and costumeczar, I use two 2" tall layers, tort each layer, and end up with four, 1" tall layers with 3 layers of filling.  Final cake is about 4-1/2" high, depending on the frosting/design.

Similar to this image taken at random from the internet (NOT MY CAKE!):

Products1.jpgImage source:  http://www-scf.usc.edu/~jamiecha/products.html        

This new site is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!  I can't cut and paste, It won't revert to "regular" black letters after inserting a link....  NUTS!!!!!!!   --apologies to the OP for the rant....

My tiers are 4" tall, 2 layers torted into 4.
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/794801/height-of-cakecake-layers#wIjUvPyclfJQWwXb.99

AgBaker Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 1:22am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for your replies.  I just wasn't aware of the standard height. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%