Coating A Cake Dummy With Royal Icing

Decorating By rachelliz1 Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 11:09am by rachelliz1

rachelliz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelliz1 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 7:40am
post #1 of 8

Help

ive covered my cake dummy with marzipan and it's now had 2 coats of royal icing! It looks like a rough wall! 

Ive tried to gently sand it but my worry is that I won't achieve a perfect smoth finish.

its the first time I've used royal icing and I need a straight sided smooth coated royal iced cake with simple boarder top and bottom. It's for entry into cake decorating qualification course. I aced the sugar work and got in at the higher level. 

I dont have to choose royal icing module during the qualification but need to show an example, HELP! 

Kind regards

(UK) 

7 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:42am
post #2 of 8

Years ago I took a class on this.  It takes a long time to get it right but the key is in watering down your royal to a "paint" consistency and applying it thinly to your dummy.  Popping it into the oven with just the pilot light or internal light on (do not turn the oven on) and let it set for a half hour then take a square of extra fine sand paper (I think it's "OO") and VERY lightly go over the surface of the dummy.  Then repeat this procedure applying scant amounts of thin royal with a fine paint brush (the kind you use to paint a room wall) and then keep doing this procedure over and over again until you're satisfied with the results and all evidence of the styro dummy is gone.  Hope this helps.  Not a quick solution but one that will last for a lot of years to come.  Oh and we used real egg whites to make the powder, not meringue powder.  But both will probably work.

rachelliz1 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:53am
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much that's so helpful, great way of doing it. Makes so much sense

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 8

wow good stuff, denise --

fwiw -- random thoughts on royal versus fondant dummies --  my royal icing dummies attract ants my fondant covered ones do not -- whatever that means -- but i like royal better because it's easier to apply (lighter in weight) and i can sand it although i never did it denise's way --

but i'm not sure why you marzipaned it also -- unless it's part of the qualifications of your competition -- and by the way congratulations on acing the sugar work

best of the best to you with the rest of the competition too

rachelliz1 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for relpy,

yes basically to start the city and guilds I need to prove that I can coat apply and pipe with royal although I'm not choosing this as a module. 

in the UK maripzian is used over fruit cake them royal applied. As that's the recognised base for the royal I had to prove I can coat apply royal icing over the marzipan base.

i always thought that royal icing was beautiful and skilled, it's such tricky stuff to use compared to fondant! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 8

i would apply a bit more icing than is needed with a spatula everywhere for example you can build it up more around the top edges and the corners if it is a square by piping a nice glob around the top and up and down the edges -- and then smooth out the piping lines with the spatula then spray/mist it with water to keep it from setting up while i get it all on there and then scrape away the excess with the dough cutter - maybe that's why the ants like my royal cakes though 'cause i have so much on there -- hahahaha -- 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Quality-Scraper-Cutter/dp/B00GOWDI4I

i scrape it as smooth/good as i can -- then let it set up and sand off the little bits and stray marks

rachelliz1 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 8

Today's layer is thicker and alot more even. Thank you for your help. The cake maybe 6 inch thicker by the time the dummy is finished.......

rachelliz1 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 11:09am
post #8 of 8

I've been accepted onto higher level of city and guilds cake decorating qualification

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%