Help With Fondant Letters

Decorating By 1haleyj Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 9:44pm by 1haleyj

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 11

Any suggestions for removing fondant letters from the molds? I can't get a clean cut letter, especially the funky style. Wasting a lot of time trimming the letters once removed from the cutting molds. Tried corn starch and other suggestions but they all leave either a powder dust or shiny residue.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 11

only thing i can think of is let the fondant set out a few minutes to dry off a teeny bit -- but nothing wrong with dust, brush it off -- nothing wrong with shiny just make it all uniformly shiny it should disappear some going forward --

best to you

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, I learned this from , I think, cake style on youtube.  I think it may be in the video about the topsy turvey cake if you want to find it.  

Anyway, I use a silicone mat and rub a tiny bit of shortening on it then put a small square of fondant down.  I lightly dust the fondant with cornstarch using a pastry brush and  FIRMLY press the Tappit into it.  Comes up great 99% of the time.  The cornstarch keeps the fondant from sticking into the Tappit and the shortening makes it stick to the mat. The trick is to make sure your fondant is pretty thin and don't remove the letter right away.  Just remove the fondant around the letter.  If your fondant is too thick it will probably stick in the Tappit-you just gotta play with it until you know the correct thickness.  Let the letter sit there and dry for a little bit.  If you are using them on a cake board, you can leave them longer or move them to a sponge mat to dry.  

Hope this helps.  I haven't had any issues since doing it this way.

joolee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joolee Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 11

With certain cutters I use this method- roll out fondant very thin then some cling film on top of fondant, then place cutter on top and press firmly- I use cornflour on the kitchen top to stop sticking- the fondant then sticks to wrap but you can use this to place your letters in the correct position- dampen surface of cake and the letter will adhere easily just then gently peel off wrap. Good Luck

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 11

This may not be the correct thing to do, but I add a bit of tylose to my fondant and roll it so super thin before using the cutter (I have several types of cutters). Then I let the letter sit a bit before I pick it up. The tylose seems to strengthen the fondant or make it less sticky, I really don't know which, but I've had such great success with this method. Also I love love love ClikStix from Global Sugar Arts. I hope this helps!

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 11

I agree 100% with lisatipperoo; that's exactly the way I do it and I never have a problem.

Lonemountain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lonemountain Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 11

If you are using silicon molds, brush cornstarch in the mold. Place the fondant in and rub the excess fondant away by rubbing the edges. I've used a razor blade across the top before also. I put the mold in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before removing the fondant from the mold and it helps it firm up and pop out easily. 

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 11

I get a lot of glare and scowling, but I do not seem to have any trouble with the tappits and fondant.  Not sure why, luck I guess.  I make sure the fondant is rolled thin then let it set about 3-5 minutes to dry a little.  Never had problems with them "tapping" out.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with most of what's already been said but I haven't done the shortening thing.  I add cornstarch until I get a fairly dry consistency on the fondant, and dust the top with a little more cornstarch, roll very thin and then cut.  It's so thin I actually have to push it in a bit to get the definition of the swirly parts.  I then tap away.  It sometimes catches a little and needs help with a toothpick and sometimes they go flying! I've done the cling wrap too, it works but again some definition is lost and sometimes have to exactly the outside of the letter to get the sharpness.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 11

piggy baking on @lisatipperoo  advice... add a little tylose to your fondant to strengthen it.

knead fondant until it is a warm, smooth, unsticky ball (use shortening as necessary).

roll fondant between sheets of heavy plastic (I use a ziplock freezer bag, zipper and sides cut off) until it is very thin (1/16").

pull off top plastic sheet (leave the fondant stuck to the bottom sheet) and rub some shortening over the surface of the fondant.

using a cornstarch puff, dust the snot out of the tappit lettering that you want to cut, then tap strip to remove excess powder. your letter will be evenly coated with a fine dust. (to make a puff, get a pair of knee-high nylons, white color, unused, washed, and completely dried, put one inside the other, tie toe end in a knot, fill with cornstarch, and tie off top)

press tappit lettering firmly into fondant (give the strip a wiggle) then gently lift off. you should have a very clean cut with fondant now inside the tappit mold.

position tappit strip over your fist with fondant lettering above it and pointing towards the counter. gently rap the tappit strip against your fist until the fondant releases itself and falls onto the counter.

gently brush off lettering with fan brush.

use needle to remove fondant from stubborn interior spaces. 

keep lettering covered or sealed in plastic if it needs to stay flexible, or leave out to dry hard.  

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3336733/using-tappits-with-mmf

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all! I will try some of your suggestions this weekend

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%