Painting Fondant

Decorating By cakeemewithyou Updated 9 Apr 2015 , 6:20pm by cakeemewithyou

cakeemewithyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeemewithyou Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

My cousin wants a leopard print cake with a bright pink bow. Sounds hideous, but I'm trying to do it as non-tacky as possible. Has anyone painted fondant before spreading it on the cake, or do you think it's easier to do after you've rolled it onto the cake? I have never painted on fondant before so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks! :)

6 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 7

For the leopard print, I think most people tend to make the fondant contain the print by adding blobs of the different colour fondant before the final roll out and applying it to the cake as one.  Sounds a lot easier than painting!  You can paint - use vodka, cocoa butter or lemon extract and powdered colours depending on the effect you want to achieve. x

raizelmercedes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raizelmercedes Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

Instead of painting, have you ever used the marvelous molds onlays? They work great and have a leopard print one.

http://marvelousmolds.com/silicone-onlays/leopard

raizelmercedes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raizelmercedes Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 7

You could then use grey petal dust in the center of the print if you want a two-toned effect.  If you look at the second cake shown on that link, you'll get a better idea of what I mean.

cakeemewithyou Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

It does sound SOOOO much easier to do it that way. I am going to look at her inspirational photo again and see if that method would work.

cakeemewithyou Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 7

This would be practical and looks so clean. $30 for a mold seems reasonable but NOT for the price that I'm doing this cake for. LOL

cakeemewithyou Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 7

I guess there is no way to delete a post. Anyway, she decided to go with something different. lol

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%