post #1 of 10

my typical flavors are

cake:
choc, vanilla, lemon, carrot

fillings:
ganache, buttercream, strawberry or raspberry puree

icings:
buttercream, whipped cream -cream cheese, satin ice fondant,

i really want to try some new combos...unique flavors that people will really enjoy and remember.

i want to do pistachio...but what goes good with that? pistachio cake with whipped ganache filling?

include a recipe if you have one please.

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:31am
post #3 of 10

Ok as of recently I have begun to experiment with different flavors. I now have a chunky apple sauce cake, Banana, And a Pumpkin cake I developed. But after seeing Ace of Cakes tonight and JanH link I am thinking of expanding my Pumpkin and Banana to include Chocolate chips. My G-Ma use to make an AWESOME Banana bread with chips dunce.gif Why didn't I think of that combo sooner icon_cry.gif Anyway give your imagination a try. It may work out OK, It may taste BAD icon_cry.gif But then again IT COULD BE OMG icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif So just keep the thinking cap on thumbs_up.gif GOOD LUCK

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 10

I make bavarian cream and add Lorann champagne flavoring to it and layer with raspberries. Not imagnitive but very good, especially when covered with chocolate ganache and gold leaf.

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:49am
post #5 of 10

Pistacho goes great with pineapple.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 10

White cake with lemon pie filling is very good, and I'm not even a lemon person! I also love white cake with strawberry filling. You can add crushed Oreo's to your cake batter for a different look. And peppermint buttercream filling is divine with a dark chocolate cake with chocolate icing.

jlynnn_amdg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnn_amdg Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:56am
post #7 of 10

For filling any cake, you can use ANY flavor jam...I usually use the 100% fruit from Polaner or Smuckers, as it sets up nicely. I also heat it a little before filling the cake so it goes on smoothly.

Also, you can use Cool Whip and pudding folded together, or stabilized whipped cream with any flavor liquer added.

I don't have many flavored cakes, but my filling choices are limitless. icon_biggrin.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 10

My favorite unusual combo right now is an orange cake with buttercream flavored with Lorann's Champagne flavoring.

I'm not into fancy fillings or even torting, but maybe some grand marnier brushed on the layers...or some marmalade thinned with grand marnier...would be nice for torting.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 10

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2415-0-Chocolate-Mint-Truffle-Filling.html
this one is yummy!!! You can create a lot of yummy fillings with heavy whipping cream and any box of pudding. You could do this with chocolate pudding and add a tbs of kahlua for a choc kahlua cake.

I also do a carrot cake and for my filling I take basic buttercream and mix in pinapple/apricot flavored jam. YUMMM!

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychristensen

Ok as of recently I have begun to experiment with different flavors. I now have a chunky apple sauce cake, Banana, And a Pumpkin cake I developed. But after seeing Ace of Cakes tonight and JanH link I am thinking of expanding my Pumpkin and Banana to include Chocolate chips. My G-Ma use to make an AWESOME Banana bread with chips dunce.gif Why didn't I think of that combo sooner icon_cry.gif Anyway give your imagination a try. It may work out OK, It may taste BAD icon_cry.gif But then again IT COULD BE OMG icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif So just keep the thinking cap on thumbs_up.gif GOOD LUCK

Just a hint about the chips, try using butterscotch ones! Oh my goodness, they are so yummy in banana bread!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%