What Are They Getting Out Of This?

Lounge By Pastrybaglady Updated 10 Apr 2015 , 2:17pm by Heath

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 24

All this spam jamming up the boards!  How are they profiting from this?  Are bakers known to have relationship problems, need dates or fake passports?  Or perhaps Vashikaran was burned by a baker once and this is his revenge?  He is relentless!

23 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 24

It's willful, intentional, deliberate and it's directed only to this specific website.  it would all make sense if the source were revealed to the owners of this page.  If the person making this happen could be identified and prosecuted.   We'd probably all say.........." Ah yes, I see now what's been going on."

'course I'm probably way off target.  I can barely send an e0-mail

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 24

I'm sure it isn't just sent to Cake Central. It's that other sites/forums have ways of screening out the spam before it shows up before our eyes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:56am
post #4 of 24

I am VERY concerned.  In 2011 and 2012 I quit CC for about 18 months because using this site killed two computers.  (I know.....I'm nuts for being here now, but it's a strong addiction to break.)

What, if anything, do we hear from CC?  Are we in danger AGAIN???

Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 5:49am
post #5 of 24

@Apti  Oh no!  That means they've never been able to deal effectively with the spam!  

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 6:02am
post #6 of 24

Quote by @Apti on 2 hours ago

I am VERY concerned.  In 2011 and 2012 I quit CC for about 18 months because using this site killed two computers.  (I know.....I'm nuts for being here now, but it's a strong addiction to break.)

What, if anything, do we hear from CC?  Are we in danger AGAIN???

We have not been silent on the topic, we have already posted about what we are working on to stop the spammers.  You are not in any danger.  The only way you can be harmed by a spam post is if YOU click on a link in a spam post that takes you to another website that then takes advantage of you.  The spam posts are all in plain text, cannot execute any code, and no one has submitted any support ticket suggesting that their computers are acting up after having visited cakecentral.com .

Our website is hosted on Amazon Web Services, and Amazon does not allow websites to stay online if they are delivering malicious code.

Nearly all the spam we are experiencing right now is coming from a single individual or organization that is taking manual steps to successfully post, it is not being done by a bot.  This is why we are having to develop a new procedure to stop it.  It is complicated to implement correctly.

It will be done soon, we cannot say specifically what date, that is not the nature of coding, it is done when it is solved.  I am sure you can imagine that we want it done as badly as you do, we hate it being there as much as you do and so long as it keeps getting posted, we have to spend time removing it.

Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 6:12am
post #7 of 24

That's incredible that someone is that dedicated to posting stuff no one cares about.  Thank you for trying to take care of it.

Heath Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 6:16am
post #8 of 24

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 3 minutes ago

That's incredible that someone is that dedicated to posting stuff no one cares about.  Thank you for trying to take care of it.

My hope is that by Wednesday it is resolved.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 7:28am
post #9 of 24

Thank you for the explanation.  I wish you well in your endeavors to fix the problems.

--Apti

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 24

It's not just here. Anything that caters to international persons get this. On FF14 (an online game) we get bots selling game gold every day. There are things in place, but it's hard to kill all the bots without banning certain Ip addresses when they fake them. A bot gets caught and they just make a new account and start all over. If people wouldn't click on their links or buy from them they wouldn't waste their time doing this. They spam because someone goes "oh you poor thing, here take my bank account."

They're like the cheap cake ladies: when one gets caught, 3 more pop up.

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 24

Wow, this isn't bots doing it??

No wonder it's hard to get rid of then!

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:21am
post #12 of 24

Who has this kind of time?  Usually this lasts for a day or two - this is endless!  I notice they use different user names and interspersed capital letters and numbers so it's never the same.  I can see why they can't get a handle on this. This can only be the work of someone with a serious grudge!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 24

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 8 hours ago

Who has this kind of time?  Usually this lasts for a day or two - this is endless!  I notice they use different user names and interspersed capital letters and numbers so it's never the same.  I can see why they can't get a handle on this. This can only be the work of someone with a serious grudge!

It's baffling but more than that I find it puts me off coming to the site. I simply don't have the time (unlike the spammers) to wade through until I find a post I want to read or respond to. Such a shame.

DJFIT9999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DJFIT9999 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 24

That's why you shouldn't host the site on an unreliable server. There are other hosting platforms that are far more reliable and equipped to handle this type of spam. 

Heath Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 24

Quote by @DJFIT9999 on 24 minutes ago

That's why you shouldn't host the site on an unreliable server. There are other hosting platforms that are far more reliable and equipped to handle this type of spam. 

It doesn't have anything to do with the server it is hosted on.  It all has to do with the software installed.  We are not even using a publicly available software package, we are using all original code written in house.  Our servers are hosted on the most robust, secure hardware platform available, the Amazon Web Services.  

Our solution for this particular issue should be in place later today.

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 24

Quote by @Heath on 25 minutes ago

Our solution for this particular issue should be in place later today.

Fingers crossed!

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 24

Oh my goodness, did you do it?!  I don't see any spam - the boards were jammed with pages and pages earlier this morning, now I don't see any.  Hoping whatever you did will hold!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:28pm
post #18 of 24

Quote by @DJFIT9999 on 3 hours ago

Ha ha, server problem, good one. As Heath mentioned, it's not a server problem. Any forum that is open to the public is just about guaranteed to get spammed. The only way to completely stop it is to make it a paid-forum. Yes you can screen each membership application individually, but honestly who has the time? There is no way to tell just by forum name either.... There are plenty of legitimate users that use those names for laughs too. For example, one guy's name in a game I play is a bunch of random letters and he's not a bot, just at troll.

Heath Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:32pm
post #19 of 24

We launched phase one of our spam stopping plan today.  At least for the time being we should see a drastic reduction in spam.  We have some additional components we are rolling out to enhance this first part which should further reduce spammers ability to impact the site.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:35pm
post #20 of 24

Thank you.

JJGITA76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JJGITA76 Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 9:37am
post #21 of 24

Oh what a shame it didn't work! It's pages and pages of spam still. It's a vashikuran curse on CC

Heath Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 1:32pm
post #22 of 24

Quote by @JJGITA76 on 3 hours ago

Oh what a shame it didn't work! It's pages and pages of spam still. It's a vashikuran curse on CC

Some is still getting through, but it is substantially less then before... should be less everyday as we continue to tweak the settings. 

JJGITA76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JJGITA76 Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 2:13pm
post #23 of 24

@Heath  It must be so frustrating for you guys! So far you've  done brilliant job, responded to every error notices, various requests for different features, etc.  I do hope you'll tame this love guru soon

Heath Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 2:17pm
post #24 of 24

Quote by @JJGITA76 on 2 minutes ago

@Heath  It must be so frustrating for you guys! So far you've  done brilliant job, responded to every error notices, various requests for different features, etc.  I do hope you'll tame this love guru soon

Thanks!  - We will get him, as I mentioned before, this was only phase one of our implementation, we have 3 different strategies going in place that will curb this activity, with each iteration it will be harder and harder for him/them to get through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%