Advice Needed Please

Business By sapphirecupcake Updated 30 Mar 2015 , 6:35am by julia1812

sapphirecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sapphirecupcake Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 8

Hey. So I have this customer who contacted me on facebook and asked me to do a 21st birthday cake.

she paid her £20 deposit but since then when I have messaged her asking for the name of the person on the cake and final colour scheme, she will not get back to me at all.

i kept messaging her to contact me and if she had not done so by last Friday I would have to cancel her order but she still hasn't replied and I've even posted on her facebook wall.

my question is what do I do? I have other people wanting her space but shes paid a deposit. Do I bake the cake with the chance she won't turn up or cancel the order and worry if she turns up to collect??

7 replies
Briarosebakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarosebakery Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have her phone number? Maybe give her a call. Whenever I confirm an order I always make sure to get multiple types of contact info including phone and email. That way nobody can say you didn't try! :p I also require full payment up front so I know the customer will be less likely to disappear on me.

It's a tricky situation, I'll admit. If I were in  your place I would probably bake the cake anyway because she already paid a deposit as she was asked to do. 

Hth!! 

sapphirecupcake Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

I don't have Her number, no :( 

I have messaged some of her facebook fiends but they have said they don't get back to her either :( 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 8

Do you have any signed agreement? I think the answer is:

1. Your deposit is non-refunable, and you owe a balance of _____. If I don't hear back from you by 5PM on Wednesday, I will have to cancel your order and you forfeit the deposit.  (IF you have anything signed)

OR

2. If I don't hear back from you by 5PM on Wednesday, I will have to cancel your order as I cannot complete a cake without knowing the appropriate details.  (If you have nothing signed)

sapphirecupcake Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 8

I don't have a written agreement but I have stated in writing that she had till 5pm Friday but nothing. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 8

So, give her one last "extension" and take a different order.

"Our agreement was you had to provide _________ by 5pm on Friday. You have not responded. I am sorry, but if I don't hear from you by 5PM on Monday, I will have to cancel your order. "

What else cam you do?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 8

If you don't have a written agreement then be sure to return the deposit. For future orders it's a good idea to have the customer sign a contract stating they understand and agree to the terms, if there's no signed contract then there's no order. A more formal order intake process will help, so if someone sends you a Facebook message you can direct them to your web site where they can fill out a real order form with all the information you'll need.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 6:35am
post #8 of 8

It's not a nice situation.

But I'd rather do as above said and proceed with other orders, refunding 20£ if necessary than making a cake for 20£ that nobody wants, loosing money on it (as 20£ isn't covering any of your costs) AND loosing money on orders I turned down.

Lesson learned for the future! Sorry for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%